Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

With audio amplifiers, the demand for energy storage greatly increases because of the non-constant power supply drain (by the amplifier responding to the musical signal). In addition to the energy storage needed to decouple AC from the DC output of the power supply, we need additional energy storage to properly decouple the Audio Amplifier from the DC output of the power supply. This is true even with the most constant “music” we could imagine—a single tone. If we listened to a single 20 Hz tone (considered the lowest frequency humans can hear), the energy surge peaks would occur 20 times per second. This would impose the requirement of energy storage for the 50 ms duration.

To get the real benefit of music power averaging, the energy storage time must be greatly extended because music power requirements are more-or-less “random” in nature and do not follow a specific form. Generally, a longer time constant energy storage mechanism would result in “better” averaging, resulting in lower average power level required of the power supply.

A typical power supply for an audio amplifier:
Is rated for peak audio power because it must supply sufficient power during peak demand (for example a drum beat).
Uses capacitors for energy storage. The energy storage medium must be part of the power supply because the Energy Storage Medium must filter (equalize, decouple) non-constant AC power source, being 50 or 60 Hz. Therefore, the energy must be stored to provide constant (DC) power even though the source provides AC, which is non-constant.
In addition to above: the Energy Storage Medium must filter (equalize, decouple) non-constant power load due to the unpredictable varying nature of a musical waveform.

Last edited:
According to your knowledge, can you explain what's the difference between LDOs and passive power supplies such as LifePO4 batteries and ultra capacitors?

Thanks,
Ian

Sorry about that,but this is my personal experience.Thats why I reg here.
(also my English not so perfect...)
uptone Lps1.2(I sold it,not independent psu) also similar with 4pcs lt3045. other Nesscap 10 farad caps psu sound much better than powerstor 100f. single lt 1963 ldo sound crap,but 4x parallel(no need ballast resistor),and 3 step down with power regenerator very good!!!!Without power regenerator in my home nesscap psu win.I make alredy 8 pcs powerstor psu with relay,4 nesscap psu,around 300 pcs ultracaps total. Vs studer 900 psu, sigma 11 , around 50 lt3045, 60 pcs Lt1963 : 5pcs parallel x4 step down config.

example:

1 stage: power regenerator

2 r core transformer

3 sigma 11,studer 900, or simple Schottky rectifiers

4 5x4 lt1963 12-9-7-5 v

5 lt3045 x4

Listening tests Matter!Other technical bla bla I don't care.

LifePO4 power supply PCB V2.0

PCB V2.0 received on weekend. There are a lot of improvements based on PCB V1.0 testing and debugging. Finalized Hardware design, copper layers changed to 2oz for high current applications. PCB color changed to black as OLED panel background color. Heat sink is included to keep the temperature cooling down.

I'll assemble the prototype this week. Full with tiny SMT components on both side. It's gonna be really hard job to do the SMT assembling for this big board. Just hope everything is OK.

LifePO4PowerPCBV2.0
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian