Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2019, 01:48 AM   #771
hibo4 is offline hibo4  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I'm confused by Ian's post 764 where he says not to series 3.3v batteries with caps paralleled. From one of G Stew's posts, the battery board relays parallel all batteries when in charge mode so paralleled caps would be charged at 3.3v. When in power mode, the batteries will power as each rail has been arranged at the output connections whether paralleled, in series or a combination of each. How am I figuring this wrong?

Martin.
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:52 PM   #772
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually I suspect it charges all cells via individual charging circuits, so that if a higher-current draw from a connected device has drained the connected cell or cells deeper than others connected to other devices, charging the deeper-discharged cells to the target end-charge voltage won't overcharge the other cells on the board.

Ian, can you clarify?

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited by Greg Stewart; 22nd November 2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 23rd November 2019, 08:50 PM   #773
Supersurfer is offline Supersurfer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randytsuch View Post
I was curious and checked the avx scp datasheet.
I see an dc esr of 39 milliohm for the 11F device (lowest they have)
PN SCPA32A116PNA

20A part is worse, double that number.
You are right, I saw the general spec stating: Low ESR: <1mΩ. Thatís probably only on big caps.

It seems the only way to get low esr is big caps.
Old 23rd November 2019, 09:01 PM   #774
clsidxxl is offline clsidxxl  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post

If I had chance to update my LifePO4 power supply design down the road, I will make it compatible with a ultra capacitor board to make things easier to upgrade to a hybrid power supply.

Regards,
Ian

Ian an ultra capacitor extending board which is added to the LifePO4 power supply,is a great idea.

Last edited by clsidxxl; 23rd November 2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 23rd November 2019, 09:59 PM   #775
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply
Why not do a lifepo board for transformer output stage only, smaller board, fewer batteries, offsets cost of supercap board and saves some space?
Old 24th November 2019, 10:52 PM   #776
TirNaOg is offline TirNaOg
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Ultra capacitor/LifePO4 hybrid power supply could be so far the best 3.3V rail in the world. ....

It will give you a big surprise.

Ian

Tried the ultra cap upgrade this weekend and it did give me a big surprise.

More natural easeful sound and extended dynamics, feel much closer to the music.

Iím powering an SD card player and I2s to HDMI module both on 3.3v. Superb result. Best my system has sounded. Thanks very much Ian!
Old 25th November 2019, 11:27 AM   #777
rowli is offline rowli  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Do you use some on/off switch or relay after the ultra cap, so it does not discharge if you turn of you stereo for a few days. Any recommendations?
Old 25th November 2019, 05:34 PM   #778
Supersurfer is offline Supersurfer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowli View Post
Do you use some on/off switch or relay after the ultra cap, so it does not discharge if you turn of you stereo for a few days. Any recommendations?
The capacitor is always connected with the battery, as long as you do not drain the battery it wil stay charged when in isolated (off) state; the battery module is isolated with a relais.

This makes me wonder how much leakage the capacitors will have and if they are able to drain the lifepo4 battery when the battery module is switched off for a longer period of time (like for instance when you are away on summer holiday for 3 weeks).

Regards,
Old 25th November 2019, 06:30 PM   #779
nounouchet is offline nounouchet  France
diyAudio Member

If an ultracapacitor is used, why not leave the 3 ohms resistance between it and the batteries?

Indeed, we keep the benefit of supplying the electronic circuit with the ultracapacitor, we secure the assembly and we keep the benefit of batteries PSU.
The voltage drop in the resistance is negligible for small consumption of digital circuits.

nounouchet
Old 25th November 2019, 07:05 PM   #780
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nounouchet View Post
If an ultracapacitor is used, why not leave the 3 ohms resistance between it and the batteries?

Indeed, we keep the benefit of supplying the electronic circuit with the ultracapacitor, we secure the assembly and we keep the benefit of batteries PSU.
The voltage drop in the resistance is negligible for small consumption of digital circuits.

nounouchet
I think a big reason why ultracaps and lifepo4 batteries do well is their very low output impedance. Adding 3 ohms negates the low output.

Randy

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supplyHide this!Advertise here!