Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

@yunyun
UcConditioner takes care of dynamic demand current while LinearPi takes care of continuous current.

You can think of it in this way. UcConditioner is a big pond. LinearPi is the pump to supply the pond with water. And at same time you are using water to wash your car at the other side of the pound, the amount of water you are using keeps changing dynamically.

No matter how much water you are using, the level of the pond doesn't change because it's too big. But to keep the pond level no change for long term, the pump has to supply a continuous water flow into the pond. The continuous water flow equals to the averaged demand water that you are using.

If the pump did a bad job with making too much wave on the surface of the water, the wave can still be transferred to the other side of the pond (high frequency noise). So a good pump with very smooth (low noise) and stable (good response) output is also very significant.

I hope you can do a circuit simulation by yourself so that you can understand the principle more.

Ian

Nelson Pass used the water analogy in the F5 amp manual. Great minds think alike.

LinearPi testing result

I did some test to LinearPi last weekend. I'm very happy with the load transient response response . This result is already very closed to a 26650 LifePO4 battery cell. The dynamic ESR looks even lower (around 1mV@500mA because of the feedback). And the transient time is also very short (good performance). Battery cell could have a little bit higher ESR (passive component no any feedback) but the transient waveform will be a little bit better for sure.

LinearPiLoadTransientResponse
by Ian, on Flickr

LinearPi2
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Last edited:
Hi Ian,
Is it possible using 4 pcs of UcHybrid or UcConditioner 3.3V to get 12V?
Please tell me exactly how to apply voltage to them.
12v voltage theme is quite popular!

You can do it with 4 LifePO4 cells and 4 UcHybrids, my LifePO4 PSU MKIII would be good option to go.

But I don't suggest you use UcConditioner in this way. Maybe I'll consider design a UcConditioner 12V later.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,

...that looks really promising !
and 600mA is right at the point at what a pi4 would need.

did you had the chance to compare the LinearPi with Salas L-Adapter ?

Thanks M_Balou,

I don't have L-Adaoter but I have a Salas reflektor d. It has very good performance with the Kelvin sensing input (LinearPi too). Just bit less current.

Regards,
Ian

Thanks M_Balou,

I don't have L-Adaoter but I have a Salas reflektor d. It has very good performance with the Kelvin sensing input (LinearPi too). Just bit less current.

Regards,
Ian

oh, okay... sorry, my bad, i thought you had tried the L-adapter at some time.

and, yes the Reflektor-D is great, i have one powering my FioPi,
and, sure, it works with the UcConditioner, but its not ideal, because a shunt reg
don´t like high capacative loads, so i was in search of a more suitabe psu
for my UcConditioner + FifoPi and so the LinearPi is a no brainer for me
for that use-case.

on the other hand you can´t use a shunt reg for a raspberry, because of
the high current fluctuations.

i have a L-Adapter for my RPI and it works great, but i´m wondering if the
LinearPi would perform even better...
guess, i have to find out for myself...
(if you need a beta-tester, i´m available... :D)

could you tell us what load you use for your transient response tests?

@M_Balou

I like Salas's design. I believe UcConditioner can work with L-adapter very well. You can do some test now if you have my UcConditioner.

Or you can try both once LinearPi is available. Besides the low noise, high current and the good load response, LinearPi was designed having another feature which is the on/off management. With this feature, you can power the AC input all the time without shut down even LinearPi is turned off. All the capacitors will keep charged continuously for long term break in and best possible sound quality. Two or more LinearPi can also work together as a group under same on/off control (But still keep isolated between each other).

I designed the active load by my self with an ARM processor chip, low ESR MOSFETs, optical isolated drivers and power resistors. For best possible measurement, the active load was powered by a battery to eliminate the ground loop.

Regards,
Ian

@M_Balou

I like Salas's design. I believe UcConditioner can work with L-adapter very well. You can do some test now if you have my UcConditioner.

Or you can try both once LinearPi is available. Besides the low noise, high current and the good load response, LinearPi was designed having another feature which is the on/off management. With this feature, you can power the AC input all the time without shut down even LinearPi is turned off. All the capacitors will keep charged continuously for long term break in and best possible sound quality. Two or more LinearPi can also work together as a group under same on/off control (But still keep isolated between each other).

I designed the active load by my self with an ARM processor chip, low ESR MOSFETs, optical isolated drivers and power resistors. For best possible measurement, the active load was powered by a battery to eliminate the ground loop.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,

yes, this on/off managment is a nice feature, and UcConditioner and ConditionerPi have it, too.
you can to cool things with his, like actually powering off the whole Rpi-stack by doing
a software system shutdown. :cool:

hmm, so you build you own active load, cool, thats the spirit, why buy it, when you can build it yourself...
and good lab equipment is so damn expensive....

LinearPi mounted directly to a RaspberryPi

LinearPi was designed can be mounted directly to a RPi. If you prefer linear power supply for a RaspberryPi, LinearPi could be one of the best solution.

Besides the output terminal blocks, LinearPi also has output in a USB-Type C connector. More LinearPis can work together as group for more isolated 5V/3.3V voltage rails.

LinearPiRpi1
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Reactions: 1 user
LinearPi upgrades to an ultra capacitor power supply

LinearPi can be upgraded to an ultra capacitor power supply by integrating with either UcConditioner or ConditionerPi.

ConditionerPi can be installed as part of the RPi stack and to power RPi directly to the local GPIO. But UcConditioner can have bigger ultra capacitors.

LinearPiRpi5
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

Reactions: 1 user
I also received the module, the board is really beautiful. I carefully compared 3.3V and 5V of UcConditioner, and I found that the components are actually the same, but the specifications of components are different. In other words, in terms of cost, the 3.3V and 5V are actually the same, but the price is much worse. I attach these different components.

S__6938626.jpg

I also received the module, the board is really beautiful. I carefully compared 3.3V and 5V of UcConditioner, and I found that the components are actually the same, but the specifications of components are different. In other words, in terms of cost, the 3.3V and 5V are actually the same, but the price is much worse. I attach these different components.

View attachment 861384

You've got a lot of time on your hands! Good insight.

I like the questions you raise, but your means seems passive-aggressive and statements verge on exaggerated. Although I'm sure not intended in that way.

I'd suggest this is a bit harsh to post this, without asking Ian privately as to why there is a difference, as there could be many reasons. As I'm sure you will understand building products is never a linear business model. It could be simply to do with the volumes he has ordered for specific parts as he expects the 3.3v to sell less or part shortage of the pandemic etc.

Keep asking the right questions, but it would be nice if it could be in a constructive way and give Ian the opportunity to answer privately for anything that could be controversial:)

View attachment 861384

Hi Yunyun,

Your UcConditioner 3.3V is the very early version with some manual assembling job involved. Finial released version is different in better performance. I can replace it for you if you want. Please let me know.

Regards,
Ian

Last edited: