Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2019, 01:35 AM   #591
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

@Heathkit and @marcus1, a few thoughts on your issues...

1. @Heathkit, can you post a picture of the missing C57 with some of the nearby components shown so others who have the MkII board can confirm the presence in their boards. Sorry, I don't have a MkII here, only a couple of the original ones.

2. Yes, AFAIK, BT6 & BT7 are required. I have powered the boards with NO cells installed and they stay powered for a few seconds and then drop out. They do this with no damage if anyone wants to try this themselves. I did not observe a message. I was not looking at the display, but instead using the on-time to trace connections for the jumpers.

3. I have one board with only BT6, BT7, BT2, and BT5 installed and appropriate jumpers installed so I get 4 3.3V outputs. It works ok that way.

4. Can you check your cell voltages both in the off state and when turned on before it cycles off. I wonder if one or more of your cells drop significantly or go to 0V, which would likely trigger the start up current protection circuit.

Curious what you find!

AND thanks @alazira for your great input on this!

Greg in Mississippi
Old 18th May 2019, 03:44 PM   #592
paoloilpizzo is offline paoloilpizzo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Unhappy DUAL POWER for I/V Input Board with LifePO4 Power Unit

STUPID QUESTION
In which way I can realize the dual power supply needed by the IAN I/V board (+12 /0 / -12) with the LiFePO4 power Unit ?
I have to connect serially the output J3 and J4 connecting the two GND (-) togheter and the two positive, one on the +12 input and the other one to the -12V input (Scenario 1)
OR
I have to connect serially the output J3 and J4 connecting the positive of J4 with the negative of J3 and use the positive of J3 on +12V input and the negative of J4 into the -12V input (Scenario 2) as showned in the attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCENARI.jpg (82.2 KB, 414 views)
Old 19th May 2019, 02:07 AM   #593
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

@paoloilpizzo,

Your scenario 2 would work. Also see my post #247 at IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...
Old 19th May 2019, 09:44 AM   #594
Supersurfer is offline Supersurfer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Ai, that's a costly mistake
i will find some bravery and make it work
Does it matter what side of the L9 i connect the 5v line to?
It does not matter on what side you solder the connection.
Plese let us know if it worked.

Good luck!
Old 20th May 2019, 03:09 AM   #595
pinnocchio is offline pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just thinking out loud... what if the ultra capacitor PSU was an add on to the LifePO4 PSU, where that LifePO4 would charge the Ultra Capacitor bank when needed without requiring regulators since the LifePO4 cells would be used and when the cells are half way depleted or close, the LifePO4 charger would charge the cells? You would always have non-stop music of highest quality.

Just a thought...

Do
Old 20th May 2019, 02:17 PM   #596
Heathkit is offline Heathkit  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Stewart View Post
@Heathkit and @marcus1, a few thoughts on your issues...

1. @Heathkit, can you post a picture of the missing C57 with some of the nearby components shown so others who have the MkII board can confirm the presence in their boards. Sorry, I don't have a MkII here, only a couple of the original ones.

Greg in Mississippi
You can see C61 is present in similar position for the next battery, but C57 is missing, some residual solder sticking up as if it fell off before the solder hardened, not completely flat pads...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190520_082616.jpg (406.6 KB, 299 views)
Old 21st May 2019, 07:19 PM   #597
alazira is offline alazira  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paoloilpizzo View Post
STUPID QUESTION
In which way I can realize the dual power supply needed by the IAN I/V board (+12 /0 / -12) with the LiFePO4 power Unit ?
I have to connect serially the output J3 and J4 connecting the two GND (-) togheter and the two positive, one on the +12 input and the other one to the -12V input (Scenario 1)
OR
I have to connect serially the output J3 and J4 connecting the positive of J4 with the negative of J3 and use the positive of J3 on +12V input and the negative of J4 into the -12V input (Scenario 2) as showned in the attached
use scenario 2
Old 21st May 2019, 07:57 PM   #598
alazira is offline alazira  United States
diyAudio Member

On the Mark II build I installed terminal blocks on the bottom side of the PCB. You can install the battery holder after, but must be careful not to install a jumper and battery at the same time! I consider using a fuse instead of a jumper for some safety in case of stupidity. This might be a good candidate:
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/2...pdf-522535.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topside.JPG (116.3 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg fused.JPG (120.1 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg warning.JPG (106.2 KB, 247 views)
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:57 AM   #599
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

@Heathkit,

Thanks for the picture of the missing capacitor. Looking at it (and locating the similar ones in the original boards), I don't believe that capacitor is critical to operation.

To help us debug this, can you provide:

- A picture of your whole board from the battery side?

- The off, then on (before it clicks back off) voltage of each cell?

Also, the area around the jumper position above the resistor next to the missing capacitor looks odd. Did it get damaged or is that just an artifact of the photo?

Thanks!

Greg in Mississippi
Old 22nd May 2019, 04:26 PM   #600
Heathkit is offline Heathkit  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Greg for helping out on this. Yes, the photo has an artifact, the jumper area is fine. And I agree, looks like those SMD caps are for minor filtering and I doubt the missing C57 is causing the issues. I will take a few photos of the front of my board later tonight.

Over all, I would say the solder flow work on this board is not quite up to expected standards, at least comparing it to other boards I have from Ian or other group buys I have.

I did not see any change in voltage on the cells before and after attempting to turn the unit on several times and the unit running for 10 seconds then shutting off and displaying "short protection". I noticed that when it's off, all batteries on each side are connected in parallel, is that normal? So of course they all measure the same installed on the board, in my board 3.335 VDC. I will take them out and measure them individually later tonight. Btw, the first time I connected the power supply, it charged for maybe 20 or 30 seconds then went to "pending" and the green LED flashing, so it looks like my new batteries came fully charged.

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supplyHide this!Advertise here!