Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2019, 03:48 PM   #581
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

@AudioKill,

This may be as much as anything a case of mis-matched expectations. AFAIK, Ian does the gear he GB's to share some of the designs he developed for his personal use with the DIY community. He is not, again AFAIK, planning to develop this into a business. He already has a successful and lucrative career as a medical device electronics designer/developer. Based on the prices he charges for the units, he's not in this to make money. Once you count his time and efforts in both the design and development and the GB administration, I'd suggest he's losing money, likely a significant amount given what he likely makes in his day job.

Ian's GB gear tends to be fairly simple in concept yet sophisticated in execution. Modules that are as complex as they need to be, but no more. AND designed to provide what functionality is needed for the task at hand for a bargain price.

In this vein, his LiFePO4 power supply has two operating modes... On and Off.

When Off:

- Batteries are not connected to the load.

- The non-isolated 5V supply is not connected to the load

- If the batteries need charging, it does that. AFAIK, it checks each cell separately for charge status and applies the correct profile as needed, ending the charge at the 'End Charge Voltage' in the firmware. I expect it either uses a dedicated battery charging chip or an FPGA to do this, there is a roughly 2" square heatsink covering a component or components and I don't know what is under there.

When On:

- Batteries are connected to the load via relays.

- IF the 5V non-isolated supply has been turned on via the firmware, it is connected to the load.

- IF not overridden in the firmware, startup current is monitored and if an initial high current draw is seen, the relays will disconnect.

- The unit will turn Off if either a battery cell reaches the preset terminal voltage OR the unit has been on for the run time specified in the firmware.

To be clear, there is no charging when the unit is on. It is designed to be on and not charging while in use and off and charging if needed while not in use.*

In addition to the component(s) under the heatsink, there is one other logic chip (I haven't looked closely at it to determine if it is an FPGA, microprocessor, or just a display driver). Everything else are dumb components.

I understand what you are suggesting. BUT that is a far different device than the one Ian designed and is selling via his GB. In keeping with his other GB gear, it does what it needs to do pretty effectively with a minimum of fuss and added complexity. Much like a recent call for a software driver versus Ian's ESS Controller to configure the DAC chips, something of the complexity and with the connectivity you describe will be a much more expensive unit and require more on-going support, especially if applications are written. I don't think this is what Ian wants, at least based on what I've seen of his GB gear AND my interactions with him over the years. This is not nor is it intended to be a business for Ian... just a hobby.

Greg in Mississippi

*P.S. A general note about Ian's LiFePO4 supply... I'm a 'turn it all on and leave it running' type of guy with my audio gear, only powering it down when I'll be away for awhile or thunderstorms are predicted. I initially had some mis-givings about using Ian's LiFePO4 supply as a main supply for his DAC setup. In real-world use, I don't find this to be an issue. My current amps are hybrid tube input stage / solid-state output stage units. As such, I leave them in standby mode (to not burn tube life when I'm not listening) and already have a warm-up period for the amps. Firing up Ian's GB DAC at the same time as my amps has them all at peak performance at about the same time AND the cell capacity is such that they will run for the full default 5 hours (and longer). So with a little adaptation, Ian's battery supply setup works quite nicely for me and works well.

Last edited by Greg Stewart; 15th May 2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 16th May 2019, 11:35 AM   #582
Maui is offline Maui  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersurfer View Post
Hi Ian,

The hardware modification is working fine, the rpi is powered constantly now.
I'm wondering how you've pulled this one off, Supersurfer? I planned to do this yesterday but when i saw the tightly packed string of lines running from TP16 (and companions) to ARM i got a little reluctant.

Would it be possible for you to make a few pictures of the cut and of the soldering on the bottom side connecting TP16 to L9? Thanks in advance
Old 16th May 2019, 11:55 AM   #583
Heathkit is offline Heathkit  United States
diyAudio Member

Default LiFePO4 Mk II issues

Ian,

Everything was looking good and working as designed. I went to measure the output voltages before connecting any loads. Batteries are charged and display reads "pending". I turned-on the unit, relays click, display reads "ON", time starts counting down. Then after 10 seconds the unit turns off and reads, "short protection". For that brief time it is on, there is 0 vdc at J2, J4, and also J8 reads 0, even though it is enabled in the settings. I do have 3.3 vdc output at J1 and 9.9 vdc at J3, however. ( 8 batteries are installed and the last 2 jumpers in place.)

Also, I noticed a spot where one of the SMD capacitors on the bottom of the board near BT1 is missing, C57. Seems I may have a defective unit. What is the next step?

Thank you.
Old 16th May 2019, 06:49 PM   #584
Supersurfer is offline Supersurfer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I'm wondering how you've pulled this one off, Supersurfer? I planned to do this yesterday but when i saw the tightly packed string of lines running from TP16 (and companions) to ARM i got a little reluctant.

Would it be possible for you to make a few pictures of the cut and of the soldering on the bottom side connecting TP16 to L9? Thanks in advance
I would be happy to help you with pictures but this board is currently underway to Canada for repair because I misused it by disconnecting the lcd display cable while powered

It is not impossible to remove the copper pcb connection but a magnifier and a small exacto knife is needed, and a fixed hand.

Groeten,
Old 16th May 2019, 06:52 PM   #585
Supersurfer is offline Supersurfer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrbs View Post
I need some help please :

I assembled the LiFePO4 Battery power supply today and after I switched on , I realised high pitch radio freq noise output from the board . I checked all rails can output correct voltage . This radio noise only occurred when I switch ON the board with loading only . If I switch off (i.e. standby charging mode), the radio noise disappear . Just want to check anyone here have any idea what the problem is ?

Thanks for your help in advance .
This sounds like the same problem I had and it came from a bad quality smps. It did kill a sparkos opamp so be carefull.
Old 16th May 2019, 07:25 PM   #586
Maui is offline Maui  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersurfer View Post
I would be happy to help you with pictures but this board is currently underway to Canada for repair because I misused it by disconnecting the lcd display cable while powered

It is not impossible to remove the copper pcb connection but a magnifier and a small exacto knife is needed, and a fixed hand.

Groeten,
Ai, that's a costly mistake
i will find some bravery and make it work
Does it matter what side of the L9 i connect the 5v line to?
Old 17th May 2019, 10:33 AM   #587
marcus1 is offline marcus1
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathkit View Post
Ian,

Everything was looking good and working as designed. I went to measure the output voltages before connecting any loads. Batteries are charged and display reads "pending". I turned-on the unit, relays click, display reads "ON", time starts counting down. Then after 10 seconds the unit turns off and reads, "short protection". For that brief time it is on, there is 0 vdc at J2, J4, and also J8 reads 0, even though it is enabled in the settings. I do have 3.3 vdc output at J1 and 9.9 vdc at J3, however. ( 8 batteries are installed and the last 2 jumpers in place.)

Also, I noticed a spot where one of the SMD capacitors on the bottom of the board near BT1 is missing, C57. Seems I may have a defective unit. What is the next step?

Thank you.
I also have the LiFePO4 Mk II version and have a similar problem:
I initially installed 4 batteries into the BT 4,5 and BT 2,10 positions (for a desired output of 6.6v at J3 and J4) but after powering it up got a "short protection" display and the unit turned off.

I then realized I hadn't put the jumper wires in to short the empty cells so did this but still had the "short protection" advice on power up and the unit turned off again.

I wasn't sure if batteries should be in the BT6 and BT7 positions so installed these and had some success as the "short protection" warning has gone and I now have correct voltages at J1, J2 and J4 but 0v at J3 (should be 6.6v).
Anyone got any ideas why the initial "short protection" warning came up and perhaps this is related to the problems we are both having?
Thanks.
Old 17th May 2019, 10:25 PM   #588
alazira is offline alazira  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus1 View Post
I also have the LiFePO4 Mk II version and have a similar problem:
I initially installed 4 batteries into the BT 4,5 and BT 2,10 positions (for a desired output of 6.6v at J3 and J4) but after powering it up got a "short protection" display and the unit turned off.

I then realized I hadn't put the jumper wires in to short the empty cells so did this but still had the "short protection" advice on power up and the unit turned off again.

I wasn't sure if batteries should be in the BT6 and BT7 positions so installed these and had some success as the "short protection" warning has gone and I now have correct voltages at J1, J2 and J4 but 0v at J3 (should be 6.6v).
Anyone got any ideas why the initial "short protection" warning came up and perhaps this is related to the problems we are both having?
Thanks.
Actually, it says in the manual (section H) that BT6 & BT7 are required.
Old 18th May 2019, 12:02 AM   #589
marcus1 is offline marcus1
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazira View Post
Actually, it says in the manual (section H) that BT6 & BT7 are required.
"A 26650 LifePO4 battery cell must be assembled for 3.3V voltage rail at J1/J2"

Yes, I read that but at first thought it meant insert batteries for 3.3v outputs at J1/J2, not that these batteries at BT6 & BT7 are required for the other outputs to work as well.
Old 18th May 2019, 12:21 AM   #590
alazira is offline alazira  United States
diyAudio Member

It also says in section L that the if J1 or J2 is <3.3V it will turn off the supply. Not sure why msg would say short though

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supplyHide this!Advertise here!