Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2019, 12:14 PM   #531
Raj1 is offline Raj1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofswitched View Post
It seems that you have a strong hostility towards Chinese products. However, many of the A123 batteries you have purchased are made in China...

Our life can no longer be separated from China.

In addition, the battery pack I mentioned, it supplies about 500,000 or more per year, and is widely used in cars or motorcycles which is harsh environment. In other words, it evolved over a long period of time, about 5 years, and the version that is now available is already the result of numerous modifications. Regarding the products that involve the battery, I only like to buy versions that have been used by others and have been modified several times.

I wish you luck for using new products.
I don't think it's hostility; to me, it appears he'd rather this thread focuses on Ian's products rather than the links you are posting. In some ways, he has a point. It doesn't seem other people are coming here in search of Taobao links. When someone continually posts links to a given site, it can give the impression of a vested interest.
Old 16th April 2019, 05:32 PM   #532
Supersurfer is offline Supersurfer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
To always enable the 5V DC output, there are two solutions

Hardware solution:
Cut the wire between TP16 and ARM, then connect TP16 with any pin of L9 at bottom side of PCB.

Software solution:
I'll introduce this new feature into LifePO4 mkII firmware. So, you will be able to set 5V DC output to Disable/Enable/always Enable

I'm trying to make the new firmware working with LifePO4 I also. But the software solution will need more time.

Please let me know if there are more questions.

Regards,
Ian
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the tip! What would happen if I would not cut the wire to the arm and only fed tp16 to L9?
Old 16th April 2019, 05:39 PM   #533
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersurfer View Post
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the tip! What would happen if I would not cut the wire to the arm and only fed tp16 to L9?
Please don't do it that way, it will damage the ARM processor.

Regards,
Ian
Old 16th April 2019, 07:21 PM   #534
Supersurfer is offline Supersurfer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Please don't do it that way, it will damage the ARM processor.

Regards,
Ian
Ok. I will give it a try this week.
Old 16th April 2019, 08:24 PM   #535
marcus1 is online now marcus1
diyAudio Member

Hi @iancanada or anyone

While I'm waiting for my LifePO4 mkII do you have a link for the correct 26650 battery holder to use so I can order these now.

Cheers

[QeUOTE=iancanada;5762282]My LifePO4 power supply design is pretty safe.It has a lot of safety features. I myself have been used it for more than five months I don't have any problem. I use three of them everyday in my three different systems. The only time need to be very careful is the time of assembling/installing battery cells. Metal tweezers can cause short circuit. Caution needs to pay.

However the coming LifePO4 mkII can work with standard 26650 battery holders, so there will be no risk at all to solder them on to the PCB. And installing battery cells would be much safer/easier just by plugging in. Tabs are no longer in need.

But any way, safety would be always the first priority. That's why I put the safety notes in the first section of user's manual.

Be safe and have fun with your diy projects.
Ian[/QUOTE]
Old 16th April 2019, 08:48 PM   #536
misterdog is offline misterdog  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Tabs are no longer in need.
Ian
Will the Mk11 board still work with tabs on the batteries ?

Many thanks for you efforts.

Last edited by misterdog; 16th April 2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 16th April 2019, 09:34 PM   #537
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdog View Post
Will the Mk11 board still work with tabs on the batteries ?

Many thanks for you efforts.
@misterdog

LifePO4 mkII power supply works for both 26650 battery cases and battery cells with tabs.

Regards,
Ian
Old 16th April 2019, 09:36 PM   #538
diyAudio Member

Standard 26650 battery holder can be used for mkII.

Can be sourced everywhere, like Amazon
FidgetKute Plastic Single 26650 Battery Holder Case Storage Box 10Pcs Black LW: Amazon.ca: Gateway

Regards,
Ian
Old 17th April 2019, 12:42 AM   #539
ofswitched is offline ofswitched  Taiwan
Banned

Quote:
My LifePO4 power supply design is pretty safe.It has a lot of safety features. I myself have been used it for more than five months I don't have any problem. I use three of them everyday in my three different systems. The only time need to be very careful is the time of assembling/installing battery cells. Metal tweezers can cause short circuit. Caution needs to pay.

However the coming LifePO4 mkII can work with standard 26650 battery holders, so there will be no risk at all to solder them on to the PCB. And installing battery cells would be much safer/easier just by plugging in. Tabs are no longer in need.

But any way, safety would be always the first priority. That's why I put the safety notes in the first section of user's manual.

Be safe and have fun with your diy projects.
Ian
How much will the internal resistance of LifePO4 mkII with standard 26650 battery holders increase? If there is not much increase, I also want to buy LifePO4 mkII.
Old 21st April 2019, 05:26 PM   #540
Greg Stewart is offline Greg Stewart  United States
diyAudio Member

First a DUH on my part... I thought @supersurfer's question was how to keep all of the outputs of the LiFePO4 board on all the time, not just the 5V one. That's one of the hazards of glancing at a message on one's cell while doing something else. SORRY!

@Offswitched, you read into my comments something I did not say. What I was describing was that Ian COULD enable a board-switching option via firmware. This would be where 2 of his LiFePO4 supplies could have their outputs parallelled and controllers connected. When you switched the pair on, one would be connected to the output for a pre-set time or lowest cell voltage cutoff point, then swap to the other. The unconnected board would charge. This would be a way to enable an always-on mode with his LiFePO4 supplies, though at the cost of a 2nd board and cells.

IF Ian enabled this and one was using it, in the very small chance that a relay stuck connecting a cell to the output, you could connect a fully charged cell or cells to a partly discharged one. That is a very remote possibility for something it cannot already do.

I did not say what you suggested and don't appreciate you twisting my words to fit your agenda

I appreciate and share your concern for safety with this system. AND I really appreciate your inputs on getting the best sonics out of Ian's GB gear. BUT I don't appreciate you taking my comments and misinterpreting them to say something I did not, but that fit your notions of what Ian should do.

I also don't appreciate (and suspect Ian and others here also don't appreciate) you pushing a competing solution in this thread about one of Ian's GB products... and also in his GB thread. That is very impolite and inappropriate. Please don't do that.

AND please keep contributing on how to get the best sonics out of Ian's GB gear.

Respectfully,

Greg in Mississippi

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supplyHide this!Advertise here!