Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
So far i didnt get any answers from Ian about using his power supply in my situation BUT from what i read so far i know that the conditioner PI is used to make the performance of the 5 volt supply close or equal to the 3,3 volt supply.
To improve the 3,3 volt you need to add a pair of 2,7 volt supercaps in series.
Maybe Ian needs to update the manual to answer more questions like the ones from the not so technically gifted.
Greetings, Ed
P.s i can make a stainless steel plate like the one in the attachment to check if everything fits before using red copper in about 30 minutes. Figuring out the position and dimensions of the holes takes much longer. Other people can develop circuits like Ian does. Not many people can do both.

Attachments

• CSI montage.jpg
    CSI montage.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 636
  • bovenplaat rvs proef.jpg
    bovenplaat rvs proef.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 611
@hobo, I assume he meant so the pi can be left on always even during recharge of the batteries. To save sd card corruption.

Something like that. If Arduino is always on I can control power with remote control. Sd card corruption isn’t a problem if you have a great card. At least with Moode it isn’t. I had some serious problems before but they’re all gone after I bought Samsung evo card.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
@mcluxun,

See my comments and linked posts in post 1242 of this thread:

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

My comments in the Katana thread compared Ian's earlier UCPi fed from at least a couple different supplies. It does matter AND the modified 5V Jameco is better to my ears (and some others) than the hallowed iFi in other applications.

BTW, a stock Jameco 5V Linear regulated wall wart is not a bad source AND at $11 USD a bargain. I likely summarized my mods in that post... if not, PM me for details.

Greg

Last edited:
@mcluxun,

See my comments and linked posts in post 1242 of this thread:

IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

My comments in the Katana thread compared Ian's earlier UCPi fed from at least a couple different supplies. It does matter AND the modified 5V Jameco is better to my ears (and some others) than the hallowed iFi in other applications.

BTW, a stock Jameco 5V Linear regulated wall wart is not a bad source AND at $11 USD a bargain. I likely summarized my mods in that post... if not, PM me for details.

Greg

I think my main confusion is about the "conditioning" part.
When fully charged, the UcConditioner is disconnected from its charger. So ideally, it's agnostic to the source. Right?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Actually no. Ian's UcConditioner is intended to add a UC pair in parallel to an existing 5v supply, such as the non-isolated 5V rail of his LiFePO4 supply.

So the 5V supply quality still matters.

This is needed because as large as 350F seems, it is only a small fraction of the capacity of the LiFePO4 cells used in that supply.

For example, a 350F UC pair will drop to 4V in about 10 minutes powering a USBBridge Signature with no charging supply.

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited:
UcHybrid

UcHybrid is a small size high current board that turns existing 3.3V LifePO4 battery cell into a ultra capacitor hybrid power supply.

It would be very easy to install. Just need to parallel it directly with the LifePO4 battery cell as I mentioned before.

It has built-in auto pre-charge circuit which can charge ultra capacitors automatically without needing any pre-charge in before. Passive balancers are also included.

Have to use high power soldering iron (60W or higher) to solder the pins of ultra capacitors to the UcHybrid. Both ultra capacitors and UcHybrid are high current components. Lower power iron doesn't work to solder them.

I'll design an adapter board very soon to make the UcHybrid to be integrated with LifePO4 MKIII (or possible MKII) seamlessly.

UcHybird1
by Ian, on Flickr

UcHybrid2
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian