Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2018, 05:51 PM   #171
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

@syracuze)

Couple of questions;
1) What would be the ideal way of using the battery pack to power Raspberry Pi -> McFIFO -> McDualXO -> Buffalo iii pro -> Mercury setup, would I need
2 of these boards?

You can use only one LifePO4 power supply for this application. As same as what I did. To make use of pure battery power, you can remove and bypass all 3.3V LDOs on BuffaloIII.

2) Is there any advantage of using different 3.3V outputs for different power supplies (e.g. for McDualXO, 1st one for Driver Reg, 2nd one for XO Reg, 3rd one for Reclock Reg) While this requires more number of 3.3V output rails and more battery boards as such, it is costly and expensive, I am wondering what would be the benefits

Since the output impedance of LifePO4 batteries is very low. So, theoretically it doesn't make that big difference. However it would be more perfect if you can run each 3.3V rail by independent battery. In this case, 2 LifePO4 power supplies will be required. But I don't think the overall cost will be higher than other high quality power supplies because there is no longer any transformer, big capacitor and regulator in system.

3) What is the typical charging time of the batteries?

My charger is capable for 10A. However to work with standard DC adapter, I'll limit the max charging current to 5A. It normally takes less than 5 hours to charge them from fully empty. However for daily use, it normally takes half to one hour according to my real test. You will not feel it if you always connect the DC adapter.

Regards,
Ian
Old 17th October 2018, 11:21 PM   #172
syracuze is offline syracuze  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the comments Ian!

I have seen that you have the new v2.0 pcb boards arrived, how are the tests going so far? Do you have an estimate on when this product will be available?
Old 17th October 2018, 11:39 PM   #173
diyAudio Member

@syracuze

Hopefully next month if everything is OK. Assembling and prototyping almost done. I'll test it this weekend.

Regards,
Ian
Old 18th October 2018, 12:17 AM   #174
diyAudio Member

Sounds good!
Looking forward to see your upcoming updates!
Old 18th October 2018, 01:05 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
1. LifePO4 and ultra capacitor are much better power supplies for DAC and I/V stage than any active regulator with feedback. You can google the principle;

2. Any regulator or LDO after LifePO4 or ultra capacitor will degrade the power supply performance;

3. Floating charging has two problems here:One is that the battery or ultra capacitor will work as decoupling capacitor in this case, they will switch between charging and dis-charging rapidly for dynamic load current demand. Switching between two states will cause ripple thus add noise to voltage rails. The other problem was mentioned above, yes, it's the isolation.

Regards,
Ian
Ian, is there any good reading material that you can direct me?
I am keen to learn the differences between active regulation and passive power supplies. I googled a bit, but could not find much information, appreciate any pointers.
Old 18th October 2018, 05:28 PM   #176
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi Ian
Been thinking about implementing your ps into my SDTrans sd card player but Im trying to wrap my head on how it can be done. Reason there’s 3 3.3v supply which is cover by your ps but the headache part is theres 2 5v supply for the LCD display & SD card reader as well as a 1.2v & a 2.5v rail which supplies the FPGA chip. On the FPGA chip I guess I still need to keep the regs intact & perhaps use your super cap board to power the lcd & sd card reader.
Question : How can we keep all this in syn ?

Thks again Ian
Old 22nd October 2018, 03:15 AM   #177
diyAudio Member

Fully assembled LifePO4Pure V2.0 PCB except the batteries. I was very busy this weekend. Will do a functional test is a day or two.

Click the image to open in full size.
LifePO4PureV2.0_1
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
Old 22nd October 2018, 11:12 AM   #178
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply
Take my money....
Old 22nd October 2018, 11:43 AM   #179
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago
diyAudio Member

Ian congrats what a wonderfull art work.
Old 22nd October 2018, 02:34 PM   #180
TirNaOg is offline TirNaOg
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Fully assembled LifePO4Pure V2.0 PCB except the batteries. I was very busy this weekend. Will do a functional test is a day or two.

Click the image to open in full size.
LifePO4PureV2.0_1
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian

What a beauty Ian. Congratulations!

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supplyHide this!Advertise here!