Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2021, 06:23 PM   #1441
wlowes is online now wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon dart View Post
I suspect what you are hearing here are second order effects to do with the grounding scheme of your system. Everyone knows noughts and ones are just that. Bit perfect is easy right?... but there is so much more going on than that. I find it helpful not to think of system elements as discreet boxes that have no relationships to one another. They are all interconnected and interacting both through interconnects and also your AC power supply. My hunch is your digital sources are likely to be producing a lot of high frequency radio spectrum noise. This does not behave like DC. It can crawl everywhere through power supply and interconnects. How do you solve this? I'd look upgrading your digital source to something that is optimised for audio. The ones and noughts will be the same but all the second order effects, like RF crawling through the power supply, should be much better.
I suspect you are on the right track. I have no experience with this power supply, but I stumbled on a trick that might help. I place a ferrite bead on the ground line entering each of my components. Not on the entire power cable as I find this has a small negative impact on sound. But placed on the safety wire, it improved sound as if a noise floor lowered. I'd guess that its dampening the RF noise running through the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ferrite.jpg (59.1 KB, 481 views)
Old 23rd April 2021, 03:47 AM   #1442
yunyun is offline yunyun
diyAudio Member

Can UcConditioner 5V be used for Lithium-titanate battery? The output voltage of LTO battery is relatively stable and the internal resistance is also very low. LTO also has the characteristics of fast charging, so LTO has better electrical properties than supercapacitors.
LTO is safer than LiFePO4, and is more suitable for use in audio applications that do not require high energy density.

S__36200451.jpg

Last edited by yunyun; 23rd April 2021 at 03:51 AM.
Old 1st May 2021, 11:31 AM   #1443
nkostop is offline nkostop  Greece
diyAudio Member

Hello,
i tried to find the answer but i couldn't.

If I want two ultracaps directly to a LifePo4 cell
(like Ian does here: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8a3c8244_o.jpg)
but without ian boards, where should i put a BMS for the battery? Is it OK if I put it after the cell and capacitors since the capacitors follow the voltage of the cell?
Old 3rd May 2021, 08:14 PM   #1444
Oneminde is offline Oneminde  Sweden
diyAudio Member

This is a long thread and my question might have been answered already.

I am planing for a PSU and my question is if I should or need to use a choke together with UcConditioner or if the conditioner can take the place of the choke ?

(The PSU is for a dac and FiFopi streamer)
Old 4th May 2021, 04:01 PM   #1445
diyAudio Member

^^^^^^
Anyone care to jump in..
Old 4th May 2021, 09:56 PM   #1446
A123 is offline A123  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm completely new to the DIY game and haven't worked on my project for a few months, but I'll give it a shot.

I don't think a choke is necessary. That choke in Ian's photo was before UcConditioner was released. That was the old school way or if you need a more advanced SuperCap solution such as 12V, etc.

Batteries are 3.3V multiples and SuperCaps are 2.5V multiples.

So if you have a Chord Qutest DAC or RPi which is 5V. What you can do is MKIII 6.6V (2x3.3V) -> Ian's LPS -> UcConditioner 5V (2x2.5V). That's what I'm planning this summer and what Ian suggested if I want 5V pure battery.

For the MKIII + UcHybrid, 2 (2X2.5V) SuperCaps not ONE are needed for 3.3V. So the 5V SuperCap total is scaled back down to 3.3V. I don't think a choke is involved to scale down and that it's handled within the UcHybrid logic internally.

Please take with pinch of salt. Just trying to give a general idea than nitty gritty details. So I believe it's UcConditioner takes place of the choke. Please double-check before proceeding.

I need to read the manuals again to refresh my memory. If you are not using 5V or 3.3V, then you may need a choke as those are the only UcConditioner options for now. Crossing fingers on a UcConditioner 12V end of the year.

Last edited by A123; 4th May 2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old 5th May 2021, 06:37 PM   #1447
Supersurfer is online now Supersurfer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

A choke is not the same as a capacitor.

A choke generates voltage and is connected in series in the power line. A capacitor is a current tank and is connected parallel to the power line.

For digital a power supply with ultracapacitors is a good match due to the hf current demand that needs a low esr.
Old 5th May 2021, 07:10 PM   #1448
eduard is offline eduard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to eduard
Hello,
A power supply using transformer and a rectifier will always come with something disturbing that cannot be dealt with 100% by a cap and/or some active circuit.
In most situations ( i think all) the right choke will improve things.
ALL batteries seem to make noise and it looks like the latest supercaps are good at reducing it.
Greetings,Eduard
Old 5th May 2021, 07:16 PM   #1449
diyAudio Member

Doesn't the LT4320 active bridge clean up things better than you standard diode bridge ?
Old 5th May 2021, 07:52 PM   #1450
lasercut is offline lasercut  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Would a UC really be better than solid polymer, ceramic or film caps for HF current demands?
What about ESL?

Last edited by lasercut; 5th May 2021 at 07:54 PM.

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supplyHide this!Advertise here!