Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2021, 08:03 PM   #1421
A123 is offline A123  United States
diyAudio Member

You can verify your Qx version here:

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Glad you found your sweet spot. You may want to check if removing the LDOs, going 3.3V and adding a UcConditioner 3.3V on J5 will help further.

I started from the Q3 so not aware of the Q2 optimisations.

Quote:
C. FifoPi Q3 new improvements
Uses pure 3.3V for a clean side DC power supply. All LDOs have been removed to allow direct operation with
a better 3.3V power solution via LifePO4 or ultra capacitor.
Happy Listening.

Last edited by A123; 24th February 2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old 25th February 2021, 11:44 AM   #1422
Arnolddew is offline Arnolddew
diyAudio Member

I have the Q2. So 5v on J5 is an option.

Regarding safety, if i shut power off, the ultra caps bleed? Or can i stil short them en get a shock from them?
Old 25th February 2021, 08:56 PM   #1423
alazira is offline alazira  United States
diyAudio Member

The UcConditioner shuts off the input/output with power off. The caps are not bled. You can short on the bottom of the pcb if you are not careful.
Old 2nd March 2021, 08:50 PM   #1424
stew1234 is offline stew1234  United States
diyAudio Member

Ian, I have two 5v UcConditioners I have been trying to set up for a DAC. I have an LT3045-based power supply feeding the DAC and a Salas Ultrabib feeding the reclocker. When I tried using one 5v UcConditioner on the output of the Ultrabib only the red power light turns on - the yellow power good light was not coming on after waiting a bit. I tried with a Reflektor D and had the same problem. I then tried with an L adapter power supply and got the yellow light. After a few minutes, the blue and green conditioning lights came on.

However, not long after that, the D6 overvoltage indicator light came on. I tried swapping the UcConditioners before and seemed to have the same issue with the other (the yellow power good light not coming on). Maybe I should have left it longer, but I was worried about the D6 light.

Do you have any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_67196673.jpg (1.03 MB, 264 views)
Old 3rd March 2021, 06:09 PM   #1425
diyAudio Member

As a follow-up to the above, when the UcConditioner is connected to the ultrabib I measure approx. 4.7vout on the ultrabib when it's usually set to 5v. Once connected to the UcConditioner, I'm not able to adjust the vout of the Ultrabib. For some reason, it seems locked into this output. I suspect that because the voltage is low, the yellow power good light will not illuminate.
Old 3rd March 2021, 06:53 PM   #1426
diyAudio Member

Now when trying the problematic 5v UcConditioner with a linear pi all lights come on, except after a minute or so I'm getting the D6 overvoltage indicator light.
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:36 PM   #1427
rowli is offline rowli  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Salas Ultrabib works OK for me.
Is this working?
1. Verify that you have 5v on Ultrabib output when nothing connected to it.
2. Remove power to Ultrabib and connect it to UcConditioner (nothing connected at UcConditioner output)
3. Power up Ultrabib.
4. Donít know how much current you have through your Ultrabib, but I think I waited 10-20 min to get UcConditioner fully charger and all diodes lights up OK. While you wait you can check at Ultrabib output if voltage slowly increase towards 5V.
5. If all good and you get 5v, power of Ultrabib, connect UcConditioner to a load and power up Ultrabib again

Regards Micke
Old 4th March 2021, 02:35 AM   #1428
diyAudio Member

I tried re-connecting it to the Ultrabib and all seems okay now. The D6 light was very faint for a bit but has turned off. Not sure what was going on, but I was getting the light even using the linear pi power supply. Voltage is now 5v out of the Ultrabib - I'm not sure if it would sag as the ultracaps are charging but it was odd that I couldn't adjust the voltage when connected.

Bass is a bit stronger when using the UcConditioner on the cronus reclocker. The MPA audio LT3045 power supply had a similar effect when I first tried it on the DAC. UcConditioner sounds good there too, maybe not as big as a jump because that supply is already pretty low noise. The top-end remains a big bright on the Buffalo DAC even when using the legato. I'm going to keep experimenting with either running a 5v UcConditioner and powering AVCC separately or maybe directly with a 3.3v UcConditioner. If I can tone down the brightness it will sound very good.

Once a new Amanero comes, I will compare it against Ian's fifopi and ESS Dual Mono DAC stack.

Last edited by stew1234; 4th March 2021 at 02:38 AM.
Old 7th March 2021, 01:12 AM   #1429
themixmaster is offline themixmaster
diyAudio Member

Hello Ian,

When I change the ac power cable, the sound still comes out sounding different.
The j3/j4 13.2v output rail is isolated from the dc input line even when checked with a tester.
If so, it should be pure battery output, but why is there a difference in sound?

Even if you disable the 5v rail, the ground is still active.
Could it possibly be the ground 5v rail ground causing the sound to change?
Usually I use 18awg ac cable, but with 14awg ac cable
If you change it and then test it, the difference clearly shows.

Both smps power and linear power sound different when I switch the ac cable.
Then everything related to the dc input is related to the difference in sound.
This can't be coming straight from battery output.
Are there any solutions that can definitely solve this problem?

I connected and tested like so:
power outlet > linear power supply > MKIII Batteries Power Supply (J3 / J4)> DAC> USB> mobile phone or pc or tv box"
Old 7th March 2021, 04:12 AM   #1430
A123 is offline A123  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Ian,

Everything is going well with the MKIII, I'm at 6/10 soldering battery holders. I should be 10/10 after the weekend. Thanks for including extra fuses. I ended up needing one.

I started wondering also how I will power the MKIII in the long run. I just realised a month or so ago that 5V is not battery-powered so I'm concerned about mains issues like the post above mine.

Since I have extra 26650, I was considering a third-party BMS. Also considering another 12V/20A non-A123 LiFePO4 battery which would make it completely off the grid.

But I think the most optimal is to grab another MKIII and running parallel 16.5V into the DC-IN of my current MKIII. It will not be bridged.
  1. MKIII(1) - 10 A123 @16.5V all single rail => MKIII(2)
  2. MKIII(2) - 4 A123 @ 4 X 3.3V. 1xUCMateConditioner 3xUCHybrid
Only MKIII(1) will have 12V/4A DC mains power. MKIII(2) will have no DC mains, only DC 16.5V from MKIII(1). MKIII(2) should be isolated by mains in this case?

Please let me know if this is possible. Too much power from 16.5V => MKIII(2) (Amp-wise, not voltage)?

Thanks. Enjoying the DIY grind.

Last edited by A123; 7th March 2021 at 04:20 AM.

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supplyHide this!Advertise here!