Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

Hi Ian,

Could you point us where to buy the recommended batteries. I would like to buy something quality/reliable and I don't have a spot welding tool to solder tabs on the batteries, so they would need to have tabs soldered on them.

Thanks
Do

Hey Do...why would they need tabs? I can't see tabs on the ones Ian used in his photographs. I've bought from ebay and from BatterySpace.com/AA Portable Power Corp. Tel: 510-525-2328 - Powerizer Battery Official Site before.

Hi Ian,

I have been reading with great interests in your latest project. IMO you hit all the right buttons - battery powered, FIFO reclocking, and the hottest DAC chip in dual mono.

I'll definitely get one set and possibly additional battery power modules for my existing DACs. Thanks for your contributions to the DIY community. You really have taken it to the absolute top level.

Jack

I did some test to LifePO4 power supply V2.0 last weekend. I have to say I'm really happy with the sound quality while this power supply is included in my system.

Here is the configuration:

1. LifePO4 power supply V2.0.
Four battery rails:
3.3V,
3.3V,
13.2V,
13.2V,
and one 5V linear rail.
2. RPi with Volumio software.
3. FifoPi with Crystek CCHD957 45.xxx/49.xxx MHz XOs.
4. Dual mono ES9038Q2M DAC running at sync mode.
5. ESS controller running at isolated mode.
6. OPA1632 fully balanced I/V stage.

I was not very happy with the sound style of OPA1632 I/V stage before. But this time, I listened to it for more than three hours without stopping the music. With this LifePO4 power supply, I realized what is the the true sound style of OPA1632. The sound stage is wide and deep with so much details, full with atmosphere. It's the first time I run this kind of active I/V stage from batteries. Something really surprised me.

Another thing I have to mention again is that now the whole system is very clean. No more huge transformers and capacitors, much less internal cables, no longer needs special grounding considerations because all battery rails are isolated.

Now I'm pretty confident to run a small production to make it available to other community members.

RpiLifePO4_1
by Ian, on Flickr

Regards,
Ian

Looks very good Ian, congrats!

And that is a great looking listening room :)

@dewdrop

The voltage of battery based power supply is decided by the chemical. So, for LifePO4, it has to be times of 3.3V.

It is possible to have programmable output voltage in a range from an ultra capacitor based power supply. But you have to wait for my next project.

Other than the +-5V and the linear 5V, what are other voltage rails do you need?

Ian

Regards,
Ian
At the moment, it's just +/-5V. Looks like the ultra caps is my only choice.

hi Ian,

It is difficult to find ANR26650 with tab, could you tell me where I can buy it? Can I solder the tab on the battery by myself?

I talked to two suppliers of this battery over here in Aus and both of them will weld on the tabs for a small fee. It seems as though this is a standard service and use for these batteries so maybe talk to your preferred supplier about adding tabs.

For a 350F ultra capacitor, roughly can last around an hour, at 35ma, 5.25-4.75.

Regards,
Ian
Thanks Ian,
Will the min/max charging thresholds be configurable?
When the discharging reach the min level will the power supply be automatically switched to floating charging? How this will affect the sound?

I would like to use your ulta capacitor power supply but I am afraid there will be no much room for additional large capacitors and PCB in the DAC/player enclosure (especially when few sets will be needed). Could you please make PCB as small/compact as possible?;)
Regards,