Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply
Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2018, 10:30 AM   #111
sontero is offline sontero  Italy
diyAudio Member

ian
waiting for you to present your integrated solution to adopt the ultracaps in the correct way to feed dac and IV (possibly with a +- 5V dual supply) I would like to know what you think of this design solution ;
https://scholarcommons.scu.edu/cgi/v...xt=elec_senior
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:13 PM   #112
franz159 is offline franz159
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
@Ed

5V 2A linear rail is designed for RPi which in not isolated.

All other LifePO4 rails are isolated, and you can use them:

Two 3.3V rails for clock and DAC chip

+- 3.3V-13.2V rails for I/V and analog stages

Any LDO after battery will degrade the power supply . You need to remove them. Or you can also bypass them by feeding 3.3V directly rather than 5V.
However, if your DAC chip takes 5V internally, you have to wait for my ultra capacitor power supply which will have pure 5V output.

Regards,
Ian
Does this mean that in my simple potential use case scenario of powering an Allo Boss 1.2 separately from the raspberry this battery PSU would be " sub-optimal"or rather "totally useless"?
Thanks and apology for the simple question!
Old Today, 02:28 AM   #113
wtnh is offline wtnh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franz159 View Post
Does this mean that in my simple potential use case scenario of powering an Allo Boss 1.2 separately from the raspberry this battery PSU would be " sub-optimal"or rather "totally useless"?
Thanks and apology for the simple question!
I think that is a bit extreme. You can achieve improved sound with a battery supply and downstream LDOs, like those on the Allo Boss DAC. Even better, use the Allo isolator and power it with a solution like Ian's battery supply. In that case, you will be using two levels of downstream LDOs (on the isolator and the DAC).

This is not as great as pure battery power directly to the DAC, but it is certainly better than using (for example) an SMPS and tying the pi and the DAC to the same supply.

So if you have an Allo Boss, adding an isolator and Ian's battery solution is going to be an improvement. I have built a similar (but not as sophisticated) solution which I posted here in the Slimdevices forum.

Cheers

Whit

Last edited by wtnh; Today at 02:31 AM.

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supplyHide this!Advertise here!