LOFO Pre/Power Amp Switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Is there a simple switch that will turn Preamp & Power Amp in correct order, that is Power Amp
= Last ON, First OFF (LOFO)? Im a lazy *** and one a foolproof way to turn my equipments.

Use a regular switch and an LM555 timer controlling an AC relay, for adding time delay for the amp.
The LM555 should immediately reset upon power off, to deal with AC power line drop outs.

All you really need, though, is delayed unmuting on the preamp outputs. Then both preamp
and amp can be safely switched on at the same time. The LM555 should immediately reset
upon power off, to deal with AC power line drop outs.

What kind of amp/preamp is this for?

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Hi,

Im running my L15-D after a JC-2 (purely for volume control atm).
Problem is when cut off power of both amp at the same time, the JC-2 would give a loud thump.
But the LOFO setup that I want can be use with any pair of Amp/Pre.

It's a China JC-2 clone? I have one of those. I think the arrangement in post 4 would work for you,
just add the circuit in an external box.

You can add a pass-through box with a series resistor and a shunt relay to ground, controlled by
the LM555. This box would need its own power supply. The timer should reset immediately upon
turnoff, to deal with AC line dropouts.

You would plug the box's power cord into a switched AC outlet on the preamp, so the box can sense
that the preamp power has been switched. Or if you use an outlet strip to switch everything, plug
the box into that.

There are commercial AC sequencing boxes made for this kind of purpose, Audio Research made some
rather expensive ones years ago.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.