Question about using rectifier tube or not

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are different opinions around...
Most guitar tube amps are built from a rectifier tube, followed with a proper CLC filter while the common hifi tube amps often working well with SS too. Also, sometimes there is a use of in "half-way" with hybrid tube rectifiers.
My question is, is there a precise reason for a choice instead another? I mean, not only the proper rectified voltage and current, but a speech of the influence on the overall sound. I'm talking about the PSU on tube hifi systems.

There are different opinions around...
Most guitar tube amps are built from a rectifier tube, followed with a proper CLC filter while the common hifi tube amps often working well with SS too. Also, sometimes there is a use of in "half-way" with hybrid tube rectifiers.
My question is, is there a precise reason for a choice instead another? I mean, not only the proper rectified voltage and current, but a speech of the influence on the overall sound. I'm talking about the PSU on tube hifi systems.
Usually under 10W 300B SE tube rect is used and with 6C33 SE and higher SS bridges is used.

Most guitar amps use tube rect by tradition not good sound intended, they sometimes use the SS diode adapter that will wild increase the tension and no soft start:
Solid State Rectifier
| TubeDepot.com

Note that in Hi Fi tube amps tube rect are used to better sound at expense of higher cost, when SS bridges are used is to lower the costs usually in big tube amps.

With class A amps, sag is not a problem as the current drawn by the output valves is always at maximum so the HT voltage stays constant.

With class AB amps the current drawn by the output valves increases in size as the amplifier is turned up, so replacing the valve rectifier with silicon diodes gives a more stable HT voltage.

Yes I agree, that's because guitar amps match well with a "harsh" sound that is often preferred by guitarists...
There is a certain dynamic 'feel' to playing through a valve amplifier that is difficult to emulate in a solid state amplifier.

Studies show that moderately overdriving a valve amplifier produces even order harmonics (second, fourth etc.) resulting in the warm sound that some electric guitar players seek.

Strongly overdriving a valve amplifier produces odd order harmonics (third, fifth etc.) resulting in the harsh sound that other guitarists seek.

Studies show that moderately overdriving a valve amplifier produces even order harmonics (second, fourth etc.) resulting in the warm sound that some electric guitar players seek.

It is not true. Nothing produces second order only harmonics. A-symmetric distortions produce all of them, symmetrically distorting amp suppresses even order harmonics.
But when a guitar amp clips a sinusoidal signal, even order harmonics are attenuated. However, the signal going from a guitar is not sinusoidal, and guitar strings wobble, so spectrum is more "live" than from a clean string. When high order harmonics are attenuated by a guitar timbre control, and an amp is overdriven, the sound resembles a clarinet that almost has no even order harmonics.

To be clear, overdriving a valve amp produces both even and odd harmonics.

A general characteristic of valve amplifiers is a shift from even order to odd order harmonics with increasing gain.

The story is not so simple however, as the relative amplitudes of the even and odd harmonics change with gain.

There is a certain dynamic 'feel' to playing through a valve amplifier that is difficult to emulate in a solid state amplifier.

I am not used with guitar tube amplifiers and I barely heard about "sag" before. I thought the translation of the word sag = sawtooth, but it was just the opposite I said before :)

Anyway, so it's a kind of compression effect....In term of PSU sag is related to a lack of rapidity in converting AC to DC (what doesn't happen with S.S.), and this is reflected to the sound.

Another reason people in Hifi like to use tube rectifier is the gradual rise of B+ at power-on. This gives the other tubes time to heat up without full HV on the plates. Some say this extends tube life. For tube amps with solid-state rectifier you can install a standby switch or a timer/relay to circumvent this issue. I'm a firm believer in SS rectifiers.

BTW, for guitar amps, you can achieve the same thing by using a relatively large resistance in the PI filter. More current draw -> more sag. YMMV

I never used the word 'only'!

Neither you tried for yourself.

To be clear, overdriving a valve amp produces both even and odd harmonics.

Not if it is a well balanced amp.

Please read my complete description above. And google for Fourier Transforms, it helps more than repeating after "Gurus".

PS: it is not a theoretical question to me. Reading such "Gurus" and their pupils, people demand from me to design for them amps that add "euphonic even order harmonics". However, I can add square-law rectifiers to signal path, but they would spit on me then. And I would loose all respect to myself.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
..Nothing produces second order only harmonics....

Right. But Fender's input stages are cold-biased to work over a long range of even-order flavor before they break into odd-order. The output stages are strongly odd-order. The player has some control of how much of which via various gain knobs and playing level.

Playing a turned-down 20W amp at the sub-Watt level, even my wax ears can hear the 2nd order in the Fenderish preamp (on a 2-preamp Ampeg where the other side was dead-clean). Of course when you play the 20W amp at "40++ Watts!", there's "no" 2nd, your ears are full of odd-order products.

The rectifier is like the stitching on a baseball. Some things, tradition over-rides all else, change is not welcome.

I believe that overdriving an SE guitar amp (i.e. a 6V6 champ) sounds a lot different than overdriving a push pull guitar amp.

Perhaps some of you guitar amp players can tell me if that is generally true for both moderately overdriven, and for strongly overdriven amps.

Last edited:
Right. But Fender's input stages are cold-biased to work over a long range of even-order flavor before they break into odd-order. The output stages are strongly odd-order. The player has some control of how much of which via various gain knobs and playing level.

Playing a turned-down 20W amp at the sub-Watt level, even my wax ears can hear the 2nd order in the Fenderish preamp (on a 2-preamp Ampeg where the other side was dead-clean). Of course when you play the 20W amp at "40++ Watts!", there's "no" 2nd, your ears are full of odd-order products.

The rectifier is like the stitching on a baseball. Some things, tradition over-rides all else, change is not welcome.

Back in 70'Th I organized a laboratory where we experimented with sounds designing synthesizers, guitar effect, and other musical stuff. The only way to generate even only harmonics was a direct synthesis. No distortions can ever provide even order harmonics only. A quadrature rectifier, 2'nd order only (of course, never ideal) can be used to get 2'Nd order distortions, but not 2'N2, 4'Th, etc...

And, as I mentioned above (if you ever read that), the real guitar string wobbles. It makes distorted sound more alive than a dull sound of an electric guitar string without any added distortions.

When I played a solo guitar, I made for myself a pedal with variable distortions, from clean, through soft a-symmetric, to hard symmetric distortions. It was very convenient to express feelings.

Please read my complete description above. And google for Fourier Transforms, it helps more than repeating after "Gurus".
I did read your complete description.

You introduced several factors which can influence the harmonic structure of an amplifier's output signal and I've listed them below to prove I was paying attention!

Symmetrical/asymmetrical distortion; clipping; the non-sinusoidal vibration of guitar strings; attenuation by tone (?) control; overdrive.

All very interesting, but each factor would benefit from further amplification (pun intended!).

P.S. I have no need to google 'Fourier Transform' as I was introduced to the topic many years ago when but a lad at university!

Yeah, you already said that in post #7.

Sorry, I wasn't getting at you - just making sure that owners of single ended amps don't attempt to introduce sag.

Sorry, I wasn't getting at you - just making sure that owners of single ended amps don't attempt to introduce sag.

What about Fender Champion? ;-)

I even went further with my "Microchamp" project.

Attachments

• microchamp-5.jpg
    microchamp-5.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.