Linear Power Supply Considerations: Diodes, Xfrmr, CRC Filter & Parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to build the Marsh Headphone Amp and want to build a power supply for it.

So, burning though various places here on DIYAudio I've found some Quasi-modo, Other-modo, and psudeo-modo's along with Ring Me NOT type PSUs which help one eliminate ringing and oscillations, if I understand it correctly.

On one published comparison, where RingNot's M.Johnson were compared to PSUs designed by B.Cordell/D.Self/R.Elliot Design.

Performance Comparison vs. Conventional PSU Figure 7: Conventional PSU PCB shows ringing while Figure 8: RingNot PSU PCB Shows ringing.

In this process I need to change some component values of M.Johnson's RingNot designed for the AnTek AN/AS-2222: LINK and change them for the AnTek AN-0212 - 25VA 12V Transformer:LINK

Here is the link to the Marsh Head Phone Amp (MHPA) Thread: LINK

Here is the link to the RingNot thread: LINK

Here is the link to Ti's Evaluation board: LINK

So, from what I can tell when building the MarshHeadPhoneAmp my blocks go like this:

:scratch:PSU ==> Salas 1.3==>HeadPhoneAmp==>:hphones:

I ask because I don't know. Yes, I'm sure I could get buy with something...but this IS DIY and I'd rather not reinvent the wheel. I spend enough time reinventing things only to find there was a better X (widget, mousetrap, gizmo etc.) to begin with.

My goal is to build two of these, one for me and one for my little girl.

Cheers,

POST SCRIPT: I will use the space below for updates.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Performance Comparison vs. Conventional PSU Figure 7: Conventional PSU PCB shows ringing while Figure 8: RingNot PSU PCB Shows [no] ringing
I'm pretty sure this refers to Fig 7-8 in the .pdf writeup, attached to post #1 of the RingNot thread. Copied below to save readers a few clicks.

edit- "SR" means Soft Recovery ; "CRC snubber" means a snubber with 2 caps & 1 resistor; "Q" means the quality factor of a resonant circuit (Wikipedia link)

_

Attachments

• Figure 7.png
    Figure 7.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 320
  • Figure 8.png
    Figure 8.png
    145.4 KB · Views: 330
Thanks Mark,

Yes, that is to what I was referring. I believe my next step should be to determine the Q's of both transformers and see how they are different. Then go from there.

Question, with a proper implementation of the RingNot, do I need a Salas 1.3? Or would the RingNot be sufficiently quiet and suitable to drive the Marsh Head Phone Amp?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I've never seen or measured a Marsh Head Phone Amp. To find out what kind of a power supply it requires, I think you'll need to get in touch with the Marsh Head Phone Amp experts.

In the same way that I don't know diddly about that HPA, there's a good chance they don't know diddly about RingNot, so make sure to give them a legible schematic.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
And make sure to also give the Marsh Head Phone Amp people this photograph of a RingNot PCB, to remind everyone what the RingNot design is, and is not, attempting to achieve. I imagine the RingNot schematic, and this photo, will be more than enough for them to confidently offer advice about what to connect to their Head Phone Amp.

Attachments

• RingNot_Statement_Of_Purpose.jpg
    RingNot_Statement_Of_Purpose.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 668
Mark, It appears so. There is a bit of debate as you can imagine, nothing drastic
mind you. There have been suggestions as to why RingNot, if there isn't a problem
to Morgan Jones writing about shunts a solution looking for a problem, and
bringing up the possibility that snubbers can add noise that was not there before.

And, round and round we go.

Cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.