Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Since there are C1 C2 1000uF on each BA3pre channel I wonder if there is some condition created during start up. How long are the rail cables from PSU to BA3pre board, and is there any length difference between pos & neg in your build?

Lengths are about the same, 3 inches max (7cm).
Turn on s have been normal the last few days.

Attachments

• 001_Sm30.jpg
    001_Sm30.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 539
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is increased time of Vout settling in the higher range. Only that. If Vout drift is not crucial to your application there is nothing to worry about. For the specific phono the Vout drift was moving along its input stage JFETs drift and that was annoying for setting its test point faster. That is why I specialized its reg version. I shortened its Vo range to the upper part only.

Hi! Have ordered a Salas Ultrabib triplet to source a Soekris DAM 1921. (same as DAM1941 but with 2 ladders)
It needs +-5V 45mA Max for ladders and +5V 350mA Max for digital. Have also ordered minikits for triplet. Then I need transformers. I have read the general info. Seems 9volt AC is suitable but what VA or current ratings for ladders and Digital?
Will also need some resistors for suitable CC coupling. Advise?
Is there other components I need for replace current PS? Caps?

Attachments

• Spec dam1921.JPG
    Spec dam1921.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@ForsbackaKalle

Rectification bridge drops the AC rated secondary current spec of a transformer by times 0.707. Considering its best to have three times the current ability on tap for the transformers to run cool enough, don't use lower than 200mA per secondary spec for ladders and no lower than 1.5A for digital regarding Soekris DAM 1921.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
9Volt AC is fine. For CC use 3.9R R1 per polarity for the ladders. And 1.2R for the digital. The Ultrabib 1.3 has rectification bridge and reservoir filter cap for each one section already on its PCB. You only need a dedicated transformer secondary for each section. No other external parts. Dedicated secondary means four wire type transformer for dual polarity not three wire type with center tap.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
It needs +-5V 45mA Max for ladders and +5V 350mA Max for digital.

No.
45mA typical, 85mA maximum for +/- analogue part -practically choose 100mA as maximum-;
350mA maximum for digital part -practically choose 400mA-.

If you use at least 100mA for shunt, the CCS currents are:
200mA for analogue parts;
500mA for digital part;

R=0.6/I
so resistors are 3R and 1R2.

I use -for 1941, which needed higher current for four ladders- 1R8 and 1R2.
I use 2x9V 40VA transformer for analogue (+/-) parts and 9V 40VA for digital part.
Each transformer are lukewarm, so 40VA is a minimum.

I'm running my 1941 with the exact value Salas suggested R3.9 for analog +- and R1.2 Digital inclusive of the display (I use a Reflektor-D Mini for Digital), in this post Soren wrote:
My prototype dam1941 use when playing:

+5VD 0.35A, inclusive display.
+5VA 0.04A
-5VA 0.04A

The two +5V can be from same source, and you do need both + 5V and - 5V to the analog section. The USB interface sources its power from the USB host.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't know if 1941's or 1921's stated power spec is average or max, that's important to be clear because we apply a constant current sourced psu here, but if you have never seen the Ubib LEDs fading a bit or even blinking its a visual indication that the load did not go beyond current limiting and had not starved the shunt part of the reg. In hard limiting the Vout would drop way lower than 5V anyway and it should have had strong effect on the DAC also. The CCS limit behaves exactly as the CC safety mode of bench supplies. Limits and protects. But if set short its simply like an auto break set to cut in at the wrong speed.