Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Nice it works. See if it sounds any better than with smps. If not, it means the filters train prevails.

There is a difference. The sound is somewhat more clear, snappy and dynamic using the UBiB. The bass sounds more firm as well. The switching supply, in comparison, reminds me of listening to my old B&K ST-140 mosfet amp compared to a more modern amp, being a little fuzzy sounding but still quite pleasant. I prefer the UBiB. I was comparing it to the larger Meanwell 24 volt supply that is recommended for the ACA amp.

Alan

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Neg Reg - PASS BA-3

Hi,

I have been using the Ultra BiB to power the PASS BA-3 preamp lately.

Yesterday, when I turned the preamp on the leds on the negative regulator

did not light or maybe very dim. Voltage should be -24, but was 3.5-v or

there about.

I disconnected the reg from BA-3 and the leds lit up to normal and voltage

was -24v. Connected back to preamp and voltage stayed at -24v.

Listening to the pre in system now, seems ok.

I have two other Ultras that I need to debug/fix someday.

Hi guys! Hi Salas!
I want some tips to get 12V / 2.5 A. I want to power Minidsp 4 x 10 HD with Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt controller. For starters I put R1 0.15R / 10W and R9 1K8. the transformer is 2 x 15V / 30VA per secondary, placed in parallel.
It is stable at 12V but heatsink (125 x 40 x 40mm) heats up to 80 degrees Celsius, no load.
Recommend other changes to the values of the components, resistors or mosfet M1 or M2? Higher heatsink?
Thank you!
hotzman

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No, see posts 2285 2289. I made a couple of helpful graphics also to explain those posts better. Pay attention to the extra diode's polarity. This thing solved aljordan's breaking a BC560 problem for powering B1 Nutube. Your intermittence was in BA-3 once and non catastrophic. But something to try if it ever repeats for no other apparent reason like a compromised joint or a compromised cable connection.

Attachments

• Reverse diode pos.png
    Reverse diode pos.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 473
  • Reverse diode neg.png
    Reverse diode neg.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 469
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi guys! Hi Salas!
I want some tips to get 12V / 2.5 A. I want to power Minidsp 4 x 10 HD with Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt controller. For starters I put R1 0.15R / 10W and R9 1K8. the transformer is 2 x 15V / 30VA per secondary, placed in parallel.
It is stable at 12V but heatsink (125 x 40 x 40mm) heats up to 80 degrees Celsius, no load.
Recommend other changes to the values of the components, resistors or mosfet M1 or M2? Higher heatsink?
Thank you!
hotzman

In my opinion use L-Adapter discrete series PSU for efficiency and satisfying quality. Because processors after boot idle lower than peak spec. If they need a burst it's for a little then backing down again. Meanwhile the bulk of CCS setting burns away in a shunt.
If you only have shunt as an option you could need bigger heatsink for M1 M2. How much bigger you will decide by temperature with load on. Because the load shares consumption with M2.
But R1 0.15R maybe its too low a value anyway. Confirm CCS current by measuring voltage drop R1 between its pins and divide by 0.15. Theoretically a 0.2-0.22R should work towards less heat and still cover for 2.5A load peak. But there are tolerances and differentiation with heat, so do measure.
If you match and manage UBiB well to the Minidsp as load for your pleasure, you could get very good results though. Linear shunt is an exotic PSU partner for such devices. Not even a series mode linear chip PSU is provided with digital audio gear anymore. By 99% chance its a general purpose SMPS brick all we get.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Excellent! Thank you! I will try this. :)

No, see posts 2285 2289. I made a couple of helpful graphics also to explain those posts better. Pay attention to the extra diode's polarity. This thing solved aljordan's breaking a BC560 problem for powering B1 Nutube. Your intermittence was in BA-3 once and non catastrophic. But something to try if it ever repeats for no other apparent reason like a compromised joint or a compromised cable connection.

Hello, I built a positive and a negative SSLV voltage regulator. I have the correct tension I need, 12 V, but M2 gets quite hot, even using a radiator.
The temperature raises first in the M2 component of the negative regulator, but after a while also the M2 in the positive regulator does the same.
Any suggestion?
Thank you.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Measure and estimate again your CCS setting relationship to actual load current. Its very possible there is much spare current allowed to be constantly burning on both M2s. Spare is CCS vs load current remain. A difference in that relationship between polarities could be explaining the time difference of M2s reaching high temperature. Set lower CCS. 100mA spare is enough (CCSmA-loadmA=spare).

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I installed the diode on the negative reg and reheated all the soldered joints. Still has the problem. :(

The problem did not occur only once, just not every time.

On my other pos/neg regs, I will debug for the dead components and install the diode fix.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I installed the diode on the negative reg and reheated all the soldered joints. Still has the problem. :(

The problem did not occur only once, just not every time.

On my other pos/neg regs, I will debug for the dead components and install the diode fix.

Is there any clue like the negative rail draws more peak current during start up and simply needs a higher CCS setting to always cope?