Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

I don't think there was opposite equivalent type to use. If anybody knows of low gate threshold Logic Level P-MOS will be nice. In case of only such N-MOS available, a trick would be to make two positive regs with those and then use them floating with middle point as "zero" like stacking batteries in series. The lower reg in the stack is then seen as "negative".

Hi Salas,
I just come up with a idea. What if I add a LED in series with the output and the load?
What I am trying to do is to output 4V to dam1021. Can green LED be used in this case to produce +/-4V output from UltraBiB?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Led has mA nominal spec, some noise, and some resistance (few Ω). If the load's mA draw is so low it won't burn it, it can be put there but the other two caveats will remain. Diodes can handle more current but show lower Vf. More than one can be used in series. They also have some noise and some resistance. Adding up.

Bib

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• BiB.jpg
    BiB.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 405
Make sure the LEDS are not reversed for placement. Compare the 5V positive to the 15V positive. Are there any construction or parts differences? Check voltages in key places on the 15V sections. Like C1 to GND, Vgs, Vbe.

The problem has been solved. The problem is the wrong polarity of the LED.:ill:

More correctly, the polarity of the LED must be measured first, and cannot be judged solely by the lead length.

Last edited:
Two bridges and dual secondaries are the better (and more expensive) choice of course.
I have dual secondary but one schottky bridge (coming from powering TPS7A +/-regs) and big banks of FR caps. I was going to connect this to +/- ultra bibs, bypassing onboard rectification, what makes 2 bridges better?
is it just to share the load?

On a side note, SR506 schottkys were some of the best sounding diodes for audio I found, better than MBR10010 and even Cree SiC diodes.
I have seen people say that they preferred the technically inferior fast switch/soft recovery diodes to some schottkys so I will be interested to try the Ultra Bibs MSR860s too, since SiC should also be technically superior to the Si schottkys.