Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Salas, do you think I should use a 21vac to output 22/24 volts?
If so, I will use my 18vac and set the shunt to 18.
The Boozhound jfet board works from 12 to 24V.

The important now is this :
I soldered new Q2 and Q3. They still measure 0,62V.
Taking a closer look to Q1 and Q4, they are BC327, not BC337.
This may be the original cause of trouble.
So, get to solder those BC337s.

Same thing with Boozhound shunt. Q2 and Q3 are to high, 0,62V.
Q1 and Q4 are BC327. Arrrggghhh...!!!

There are two more shunts, +/- 5volts, for analogue output. The pos has BC327s but the neg has BC337s.
This kind of error reveals one of my strong weekness. I look a lot for details, but not allways for this kind of detail. We learn and improve to our last minute...

Last edited:
Mouser sold BC327 and BC337 in the same package, the package for BC337.
I confirm all resistor values, They made mistakes before with mo orders, I saw the references in the transistors but did not pay atention for this subtle difference, 227 or 337... they look the same.

Well, I am not sure that this is the cause, I hope so.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
BC327-BC337 are of the same line complementary PNP & NPN types. You have to read the schematics in post#1 or in the pdf guide and use the right type number noted for each position for each polarity regulator. Use a magnification glass and good light because the letters on those parts are rather faint and very small so its easy to mistake 327 for 337 parts and vice versa.

Ok, I wanted to be completely sure about that. You are right, in the end it is only a matter of following instructions. We (me) have the tendency to complicate, in the learning process.
Your patience is appreciated Salas! I am finalising this project.

My shunts look beautiful and the handmade heatsinks look gorgeous. Now I have to order those transistors and that's it!

Polaron, simple thing to remember is:. All BC transistors in this regulator are PNP for the positive DC output board. And all BC are NPN in the negative DC output board.

PNP: BC327, BC560
NPN: BC337, BC550

Right! It is already in my memory, because I saw them so many times...
I can even order without the manual.

Again, I measured everything, all transistors, all shunts and evrything is ok and no mistakes. I only want to change two BC327 that are not in good shape, not looking well.

All heatsinks get only a litle bit warm, long life to the shunts!

Last edited:
With how specific the the choice of C3 is, Is there times where you need to pay attention to decoupling caps in the circuit you are connecting the ultraBiB to? Especially if the regulator is in very close proximity with basically no ESR between the reg and the load

Sorry if this has been discussed before, not being able to search 2 letter words (''C3'')is a real hindrance.

Hello everybody. I'd like to share some good information with you.
Some of us were struggling to find PF5102 or to replace them for J113s, but we must select the 113s to 10mA. I found a link were you can buy many pairs and quarters for a very good price, selected to very small values.

What do you think about these J113s and PF5102s? Check this :

JFET Matched Sets - Stompville Shop

BTW, my four Ultrabibs have PF5102, but they were not matched. Should I live them or install matched ones? Thanks.
You can by 5102s not matched here, they have stock. There is also a Vfet matcher you can buy, with a very good manual, so we can be autonomous and stop buying matched fets like we were buying diamands.

Last edited: