Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have installed the SSLV 1.3 UltraBiB circuit, if it is volum <9h, it sounds fine, but the volum> 9h has a slight boil, the louder open will boil more, ask the cause and fix.
M1 = 3P20, M2 = IRF530, CCS = 660mA, R9 = 1K, C2 = 470uf, C3 = 33uf (PanaFC) ?
Help me !

Does not seem like a PSU issue. Maybe you got a ground loop in the application. Search/revise grounding.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I had finished and breadboarded the design one to two months ago. Its CRT who's scarce this period so there is delay finishing the PCB details. Working on it on and off. But last time we communicated he showed progress, had got the guidelines right this time, and he is in final stages.

All salas power... only missing the amp and rpi ps....(maybe one day) :)

20190331_212709.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Salas and Pi3 members,

Sorry I forgot to do a follow-up.(from post#1306)
The simple answer is No, it did not work.

After playing music nicely for an hour, the Pi3 started to lose track of the music files and show nothing on the playlist.
I restarted and all led lights blinked, dim and out.

I put back the old LT3045+Lt1963 regs and Pi3 worked as usual.
I tested the BiB board on other devices and it worked.
(relief!)

An interesting scenario I found here:
When I plugged pi3+BiB in my kitchen for testing, it booted and showed the music app interface as normal; when I plugged in with my rest of HiFi in my room, it failed with led lights all dimmed or out.
Later I discovered that in my room, I plugged in also the USB cable(to Dac) or/and ethernet plug to my MacBook Pro, immediately the Pi and BiB reg's led lights all got dimmed and/or out and not booting.

I wonder if it is the DAC USB cable/ethernet cable that draws too much power to render the whole thing un-bootable.

My BiB is now a very good stable reg for my SSD expansion board(for Pi3) which requires 5V/3.5A to be stable. (before it has the similar symptom of suddenly not showing music files)...been working for many days without problem.

Can't wait for Salas' new L-Adaptor Reg :D

Your transformer is too weak for the CCS current that you are pulling, or at best marginal.

50VA at 9V means about 5A of AC current which translates to a bit over 3A of DC current, perhaps a bit more if the transformer is a bit overengineered.

If I were you I'd try increasing R1 to 0.3R and see if that improves stability. 2A of CCS current should be more than enough in any case for an RPi with no extreme peripherals.

Are those RPI so weird? Alexkosha wrote that his does not work correctly on his HP bench supply even. Maybe they want mains earth grounding?

In my experience they are not that weird. I believe that the problems might be caused by voltage drop on the cables / connectors. It might be a good idea to bump up the voltage to ~5.2V on the UBiB's output in order to compensate for any voltage drops. The RPi won't mind the (potentially) slightly higher voltage.

The RPi definitely does not need mains ground. It is designed to be powered by a cheap non-grounded smps.

You made that pcb?

dear Mr.Salas!
In Vietnam we also have DIY groups, a friend in the group who has drawn a circuit he has provided on 4R diyaudio, because Vietnam is not favorable for the supply of components, so DIY has many difficulties and difficulties. suing China - poor quality available and very cheap.
To have good components to use DIY high quality products is quite difficult.
The cost of buying components is not cheap, so DIY groups often draw their own circuits to help DIY's brothers

Thanks again to Mr.Salas and longtime members on forum diyaudio.