Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

So you basically use the Ubib as a CC charge device. With an ldo also or did you manage to set Ubib to 3v3?

No, this is powering dam1121, 5V.

After some time I feel that Ultra Caps do not sound very good compared to just UltraBib directly powering, transients seem to lose their edge and the sound is just more dull.
Lt304X have a serious problem with sounding thin and undynamic so I think supplementing them with an Ultra cap could work better , though Im not sure if I would bother going this route instead of just buying another Bib or reflektor kit.

When disconnecting the UltraBib and just powering the DAC with stored charge in the Ucaps it really sounded sublime for the brief time it lasted.
I remember Ian wrote much earlier in that thread that ultra caps do not perform well when they constantly in state of charging/discharging, I think the SQ from disconnecting the charger is related to this and not just the isolation from charger/mains.

probably very important to mention I used 3V 50F 19mOhm Ucaps, 2 in series,
much smaller than people have been using.
Maybe better results could have come from bigger ones, with ESR down to 1mOhm.

Im more interested in something that switches back and forth between 2 banks of Ucaps, one providing power while the other charges.

Last edited:
"Lt304X have a serious problem with sounding thin and undynamic so I think supplementing them with an Ultra cap could work better , though Im not sure if I would bother going this route instead of just buying another Bib or reflektor kit."

I have found that I generally do not like powering analog circuits with the LT-3045, and that uBiB and other supplies seem to sound better with analog circuits. Although I do like the LT-3045 for various digital circuits... Wonder why.

I have found that I generally do not like powering analog circuits with the LT-3045, and that uBiB and other supplies seem to sound better with analog circuits. Although I do like the LT-3045 for various digital circuits... Wonder why.
I guess you probably havent used Bib for digital because its 5V min but for dam1121 5V digital input I noticed similar improvements going from Lt3045 to a Bib, and yeah I'd agree the LDOs are more suited to digital.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello,
As many people know, PF5102 and BC327 are not easy to find.
I need them to an Ultra BIB.
Is there a replacement for those, or does someone here have a few for sale?
Sorry, I know this is not Parts Connexion, but I don't know anymore where to look.
Thank you!

I have hoarded 1000's of each once the PF5102 went extinct, also the BC560c that were EOL (end of lifed) after the project was created. The newer Group Buys documention that these transistors are available without minikits because there may not be other options. Unfortunately my shipping cost overseas is 13.00 for an empty bubble mailer.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello,
As many people know, PF5102 and BC327 are not easy to find.
I need them to an Ultra BIB.
Is there a replacement for those, or does someone here have a few for sale?
Sorry, I know this is not Parts Connexion, but I don't know anymore where to look.
Thank you!

BC327 is not difficult to get. BC560 and PF5102 became difficult. Although Tea informed he has them all well stashed in original BOM brands, there are also the BC556 or BC557 and J113 alternatives out there. For more details on how to cater between likely hotter IDSS J113 batches than PF5102 there is a link in the end of post#1.

BC327 is not difficult to get. BC560 and PF5102 became difficult. Although Tea informed he has them all well stashed in original BOM brands, there are also the BC556 or BC557 and J113 alternatives out there. For more details on how to cater between likely hotter IDSS J113 batches than PF5102 there is a link in the end of post#1.

Ok, thank you, I'll see it.

For all AKM designs they recommend these big vref caps (2200u), but these must be hindering performance of the Bib. I dont like Ak4493 compared to es9038 and always though the big caps could have something to do with it.

The datasheet cant account for all possible circumstances and I would guess accommodates the budget end more than the high end with its recommendations.

Do you have any thoughts on this Salas?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For all AKM designs they recommend these big vref caps (2200u), but these must be hindering performance of the Bib. I dont like Ak4493 compared to es9038 and always though the big caps could have something to do with it.

The datasheet cant account for all possible circumstances and I would guess accommodates the budget end more than the high end with its recommendations.

Do you have any thoughts on this Salas?

I could not positively know the reasoning behind that recommendation. Something they know from lab experiments vs measured performance of their DAC chip products I suppose. Could be local decoupling+local reservoir reasoning at a very sensitive node with certain regulator chips and layout they had used. Maybe for securing generic configs but who knows. Big caps have lower LF impedance possibly helping their DAC's 1/F noise performance at that position. Could be more or less relative when using other PSU. One thing is sure, a big last cap mostly dominates.

You could make experiments with smaller vref cap or no cap and decide what you subjectively like best unless you are an engineer with a comprehensive lab to document the what and why technically too. Anyways, if it will seem worse to you without the big cap vs other cap or no cap despite using the Ubib, just put that original cap back.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
One of my builds I am going to be running at + 24 volts with 200ma current. First power on gave me 27V which I tried to lower. All appeared to be going well when the voltage suddenly dropped and the led's dimmed somewhat. I found that Q2 was running very hot. Where have I gone wrong? Advice greatly appreciated.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I=V/R. What current runs in the Vref can be concluded by drop across R5 (normal is 0.61V). What current runs in Q2 Q3 J2 can be concluded by drop across R7. Correct Vgs of Mosfets should be 3-5V in this circuit. Or thereabout. Depends on type and CCS setting. Correct Vbe is 0.58-0.61V for the BC transistors as biased here. Or thereabout.

I could not positively know the reasoning behind that recommendation. Something they know from lab experiments vs measured performance of their DAC chip products I suppose. Could be local decoupling+local reservoir reasoning at a very sensitive node with certain regulator chips and layout they had used. Maybe for securing generic configs but who knows. Big caps have lower LF impedance possibly helping their DAC's 1/F noise performance at that position. Could be more or less relative when using other PSU. One thing is sure, a big last cap mostly dominates.

You could make experiments with smaller vref cap or no cap and decide what you subjectively like best unless you are an engineer with a comprehensive lab to document the what and why technically too. Anyways, if it will seem worse to you without the big cap vs other cap or no cap despite using the Ubib, just put that original cap back.

Yep subjective result will be the deciding factor in the end.

Nick just completed a BiB powering a pair of Wayne's BAF2018 line stage. All is working very well at 18vdc with M1 & M2 temps at about 34c. Plus it sounds very good.

My question is, if I take a feed off of the +ve for an LED power indicator will a cause an imbalance? The leads would be at least 25cm.
Present +ve and -ve leads are about 5cm.
Tnx
David

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, better tap raw DC from C1's + pin. Through a current limiting resistor. Return to its other pin. ILed=(rawDC-Vf)/R. Not to possibly introduce any noise on V+ output from a virtual antenna.

Did you previously use some other regulated PSU for Wayne's? Any pictures from the build?

Here is a photo of the setup. Thanks for the suggestion where to tap the +vdc for the LED power indicator.

Attachments

• BA2018-1.jpg
    BA2018-1.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 453