Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Replaced J2, have 400mV on R7 and output it down to 4.8V :)

I have nice 6VAC toroid that I used for TPS7A regs which I would like to use for closest comparison between the ultraBib
Guides mention 1.7 Vin-Vout is min for <200mA, it would be 4.5 Vin-Vout with this trafo.
Do you think it would be unfair to compare UltraBib to LDOs at 4.5V voltage difference?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Good news. J2 got hit by soldering or static? Was it just a random dud? Who knows.

Ultrabib wants >5V in-out for faster CCS PSRR response because M1 becomes less capacitive with more voltage across it. Not that it doesn't work with less. The guide has some details on that explaining the absolute necessary voltages for some current thresholds if compromising quickness. Fairest comparison would be with ample voltage across M1. Benefit starts at 5V and stops at 20V in-out where most Mosfets capacitance curves stop losing pF and flatten.

Anyways, no matter the configuration details, Ubib will always come across different to LDOs subjectively. Its a discrete shunt and that is its nature. Different. You will decide what synergy you will prefer. But give its electrolytics a chance to come up with some use first. They need little conditioning after storage time in warehouses.