Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The CC current of your build you can verify by measuring the exact voltage drop across R1. It will be a value near 0.6V. Then you solve by Ohm's law I=V/R.

I put no test point resistor in the shunt current path because it would interfere with the output impedance. You can put 0.1 Ohm in series with your load and measure drop across it for a while to solve for your load's peak current demand and then remove it to restore a straight thick cable connection. Minimum shunted current=CC-load Pk.

Now you know if you need recalculate R1 in case you did not have clearly stated max current spec about your load's consumption.

Dear Salas,

I too am going to use your regulators in a SOEKRIS 1941.

I looked over the thread and hope I did not miss what I was trying to find. If so, please forgive another repeat!

Did I read that this regulator likes a bit of lead length or did I dream that? My inclination is to mount as close to the circuit as possible but it would be nice if this was not worth the trouble. EDIT Looked at post #30 and it seems to say the opposite? As usual, shortest lead length is best?

Also - what amount of capacitance does the regulator need at the load? As little as possible or is there a rule of thumb for this.

Thanks for your counsel.

Concerning those who want to use the positive regulator for both digital and analog - it seems to me the great difference in regulator setup due to the vast difference in current required between a reg set up for double duty seems to argue against doing this. I guess I like symmetry in all things along with attention to proportion.

As easy as you and TEA BAG make having these regulators and the extremely reasonable cost I cannot imagine not just going ahead and doing it by the audiophile textbook. Three regulators is not that big a deal. Just do it right the first time and you won't have to wonder if you made the right move and then go through the pain of re-wiring your board after you realize another triumph of hope over reality was short lived.

Just one kook's opinion.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Did I read that this regulator likes a bit of lead length or did I dream that? My inclination is to mount as close to the circuit as possible but it would be nice if this was not worth the trouble.

In my original tests I also investigated for extra capacitor effects down the rail. Various types of caps. I found a load rail cap must not sit directly at the reg's output connector. It apparently disturbs C3's synergy for proper local termination. I could make it oscillate with some if positioned that way.

But when there was little connection distance like two cm of wire or the receiving board offered some PCB track length until that next cap, no problem. No matter what was its value or type.

EDIT Looked at post #30 and it seems to say the opposite? As usual, shortest lead length is best?

All it needs is little output wire or trace length, few cm, between its output node and the first fast bypass capacitor it will meet on a load's rail.

I believe post #30 was saying similar things.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Samwha don't have a good reputation for lasting in demanding applications. Mainly SMPS in TVs etc. When the ripple is low and not installed near heat radiation they should do OK though. I had used a couple of paralleled big ones in a phono build once, their size would normally be found in a 2x100W power amp. The sound was good and they stood in time very well.

Samwha don't have a good reputation for lasting in demanding applications. Mainly SMPS in TVs etc. When the ripple is low and not installed near heat radiation they should do OK though. I had used a couple of paralleled big ones in a phono build once, their size would normally be found in a 2x100W power amp. The sound was good and they stood in time very well.

So you would recommend to get something low capacitance like +/-6800uf 50v ones from better reputed like Panasonic/Nichicon/United Chemicon etc.,

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If price or difficulty to get isn't a big deal, yes prefer such brands. Because this reg is usually adopted for 150-500mA CCS settings, 6800uF is very well suited. Think if it will be receiving more heat than usual. How the reg system will be sinked, where it will be installed. There are 85C and 105C types to choose from. "For Audio" types are usually 85C.

Having completed another test with BIB at 2A (against yet another smps) I'd like to ask if irf9530 is gonna do the job for such higher current demand and what main filter cap you recommend. *Unfortunately* is that good.
The demand is always at startup so we use a much too big heatsink for shunt purpose.