Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Nice built vgeorge, so you parallels the second transformer secondary in to the diy Flexy and than into the mini Reflektor, I was thinking to use a UltraBiB for the Dam1941 digital part but the Reflektor seems a better way.
The white cover on the wires that goes into the Flexy is for phase identify?

I got a dual secondary transformer, but did not parallel the windings, I used it as a full wave rectifier with two diodes and yes the white heatshrink is to identify transformer' s phase.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas,

On the Mouser website, the PF5102 transistor is scheduled for obsolescence and is currently out of stock. On the "Product discontinuance notification", there is no recommended replacement.

Although there is still stock at some suppliers, do you have a suggestion of alternative component for the UltraBib 1.3 board ?

Thanks.

Didn't know that, thanks, will have to look into it

Let me know asap.
I will buy several 1000 if we want to use going forward and stock is depleting.
Only biting part is the chinese tarriffs bump the cost over here.

Hello vgeorge

Nice work with the case!
When you say Reflektor you mean mini reflektor, right?
You feed it with those blue caps, right?

I have a few old reflektors, 3,3 ane 5volts.

Is the mini the same as reflektor-D?

Is it better?
I ordered shunt 1.3 boards so I can choose.
Why people say that for digital reflektor is better than bib?
What should I use. for digital... TODAY?

Thanks.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Let me know asap.
I will buy several 1000 if we want to use going forward and stock is depleting.
Only biting part is the chinese tarriffs bump the cost over here.

@Garrido also

I looked into Mouser. There is an EOL reminder, still in June they will have 16798 PF5102 pieces again. The PF is actually J11x family. The main practical difference I know between those is it has repeatedly lowest IDSS range.

I have two little bags with J112 and J113 in my hands right now. Not ancient ones. Few years old. My notes on them read: J113 Vgs OFF 1-2V IDSS 10-20mA. J112 Vgs OFF 2.7-3.7V IDSS 33-43mA. J111 would be even stronger for Vgs OFF and IDSS. Their datasheet minima are not found in my samples. Not even close.

In other words stock up on PFs because yes J11x's will be useful, but even if we up the source resistors values to make them work the same in UBiB, we can't predict their ranges that easily. Such a situation will potentially lead to much more selection work.

"For VA choose transformers with three times the power of your CCmA*ACV across all their utilized secondaries. A 50VA toroidal transfo for up to +/- 300mA CC should suffice."

But I guess if the ac is 2x9V 30VA is enough. Should I multiply (2x9)x3, or 9x3?
I already have two talemas with 9V each... I don't want to throw my money out of the window...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That paragraph basically says if you draw 10W from a transformer use a 30VA one. For example you set R1 for 1.1A and your transformer has 9VAC secondary. That's 9.9W. It may seem overkill but transformers have 40% less current max when feeding a full bridge rectifier plus they warm up due to losses, also the current draw is constant in our case, so its just a conservative guide to keep them away of thermal strain when installed in a rather hot box. Others may say its too conservative.

I used a mini Reflektor, as I had some boards on stock and it was better for my layout. They are fed with two 4700 Cornell Dubilier caps with a small resistor in between.
The mini, is the same as reflektor-d minus the rectification and first cap.
Is it better than BIB? I do not know. In a previous Dac I liked the reflektor a lot. Only if you build both and compare you will know.

Hello vgeorge

Nice work with the case!
When you say Reflektor you mean mini reflektor, right?
You feed it with those blue caps, right?

I have a few old reflektors, 3,3 ane 5volts.

Is the mini the same as reflektor-D?

Is it better?
I ordered shunt 1.3 boards so I can choose.
Why people say that for digital reflektor is better than bib?
What should I use. for digital... TODAY?

Thanks.

I see. I feel like using all three boards for the dam1941. I like the neat look of it and I know it's going to work perfectly.

Why not to use only one big cap in one of the boards, say, the digital one?
All my AC secs have 9V. I just have to tune each R1, (done with lots of precision with Salas help), and use the holes of the C1 of the two remaining boards.

Now, the audiophile obsession that will demand that you have separate linear psu for dig and analogue, but in the case of the dam1941 board, the circuit has been thinked in a way that you don't have to be concerned about that. Good design!

I will try to be more objective about this specific point and look for that information more accurately, and post it soon.
So I am tempted to use one of those sweet 22 000μf Mundorf capacitor that I bought to my Ref D's.

A flexy and three more boards would make 4. So it is NO for me.
One transformer, 4 diodes and three boards, yes.
I will use the pins of the C1 to the holes of the C1's, (R1).

Do Mini-Bibs exist?

Last edited:
This text is about a specific aspect of the dam1941 circuit. It makes part of a conversation about dam1941 and psu's for it. That's why I am not concerned about DIG/ANALOGUE linear psu separation and intend to use one single transformer with one big cap.

"I wouldn't necessarily try different reg. for digital/analog with an existing board which has been designed for use with one regulator for both sections. Theoretically it could work of course but my main concerns are that it could throw off the design quite a bit. If you look into design details of a circuit that has analog and digital sections on one PCB you will find that the periphery around the digital and analog compnents has been/needed to be already designed in a way so that the voltages and currents are not intercepting. This includes how high frequency digital and low frequency analog behave on a shared ground plane and can interact with each other in a bad way, or don't interact if the design is good."

Salas, based on this text, and looking for simplicity without sacrifices in performance, wouldn't it be coherent if I use one single positive board (for dig and analogic), with enough current for both and for the reg? I would make the same calculations as before.

Then it would be even simplier : One big cap, two boards!

Thank you.

Time to decide.

I guess I will do the three boards as planned before, with two transformers,

using one 30W/2x9v, one 30W9V and those three 4700Iμf/25V Kaisei caps.

It can't be inferior. Just not so simple, (may be better),

and I have the toroids, C1 caps the boards are shipped. Now I order the parts.
Thank you salas, for all the help and patience.