Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2018, 10:52 PM   #741
JOIMONF is offline JOIMONF
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
But the other one you got works, right? Mysterious. The Mosfets are the right type confirmed in the sick one? The PMOS and NMOS positioned at their right places I mean. And they do show 4-5V Vgs on M1 and 3-4V Vgs on M2? Between first and last leg the Vgs of each can be measured when the system is powered.
Yes, my first Ubib have had a quick completion, and since then is very celebrated, better than Ref-D (even unfair, Ubib win without 'boutique' capacitors). I agree is strange mistery. Mosfets are properly on their place. M1 Vgs is 5v., M2 is 3,2v but only first seconds, after that slowly decreasing on a par, I must switch off before reaching 5v. output, to prevent a breackdown to 0v. could damage Q1 BC327.
Board is set to give 13v.,adjusting trimmer VR1 together with wrr, around 3k3, but no way can't reach anything higher than 7v. output.
Old 8th November 2018, 11:13 PM   #742
diyAudio Member

No load and off, probe from Vout to 0v.:
Healthy reading is climbing like a capacitor till infinite (no reading).
Damaged board reading also climbs, but slower and locked to around 5k. Ohm.
Now i see C2 220uf reversed on defective board, but always thought thouse Nichicon BP are non polar.
It's worth to switch?

Last edited by JOIMONF; 8th November 2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 8th November 2018, 11:24 PM   #743
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

So some part must have been compromised. Should show hundreds kOhm and then climb. Flux is well cleaned around M1,M2 gate pins?
Old 8th November 2018, 11:32 PM   #744
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOIMONF View Post
Now i see C2 220uf reversed on defective board, but always thought thouse Nichicon BP are non polar. It's worth to switch?
BP are both ways positioning caps. But there could be some dodgy one or got overheated in soldering, became leaky and loses the Vref that its there to filter? Because we are in the twilight zone of failure scenarios now, if you will try change M2, change C2 also, even with Panasonic polar to see what happens.
Old 8th November 2018, 11:52 PM   #745
diyAudio Member

Hi Salas, you got here when mentioned cleaning flux. Now is fixed the board, a relief, altrough it was clean loocking I reclean but this time with a lot of alcohol, almost submerged, trying to fill inside terminal blocks, etc.. and it works!
I use high silver content solder, which need extra amount of flux and temperature to ensure proper joint. And althrough I always clean right after, for sure not enough below or inside some places. Never is enough advice againts conductivity of solder paste. I feel very grateful and sorry the long.

Last edited by JOIMONF; 9th November 2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 8th November 2018, 11:53 PM   #746
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Devil's hiding in the details. Congrats!
Old 9th November 2018, 12:01 AM   #747
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Lessons learned:

- When weird things happen, do open output impedance checks also, as in post #740. If readings are low, probably something leaks.
It may be conductive flux residue. Use 0.5mm lead solder wire with internal flux if possible, don't add flux externally in places not strictly necessary, and clean well.
- Mosfets have very high impedance gates, this one is a high open loop gain and wide bandwidth circuit that may get compromised from leftover flux or dirt and puzzle you.
Old 9th November 2018, 12:08 AM   #748
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
I feel very grateful and sorry the long.
No problem, its nice troubleshooting read for the builders. It will help some out of an odd failure trap in the future. By the way, your REF-D other reg has JFET mod or not?
Old 9th November 2018, 08:55 AM   #749
diyAudio Member

I remember Cardas solder is recommended, I hesitated use lead solder as hazarous in first but I will reconsider, thanks advice.
I thought profesional printed circuit board cleaners have acetone (nails cleaners) mixed to alcohol. But don't know how much to add.

Red-D has Jfet mod. already but in comparison not sure how much injuried by the still there three 120ohm basic resistors. Ubib is populated allresistors with non magnetic, low ppm, etc..
Otherwise Ubib has maybe not bad Nichicon but in Ref-D is expensive combo 6800uf + 1000uF Mundorf AG+.
Ubib easy wins Red-D in that situation.
Old 9th November 2018, 12:22 PM   #750
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I hesitated use lead solder as hazarous in first but I will reconsider, thanks advice.
Dirty PCB crushes PSRR!

Lead is hazardous if one sucks on the PCB, or breathes the fumes from a soldering station. I would imagine that if you were using solder-paste for surface mount components you could ingest lead if you weren't careful.

In the US the problems were traceable to peeling paint using Pb as pigment before TiO2 came into prominence. Children eat paint chips! Tetra-methyl lead (TML), tetra-ethyl lead (TEL) used as octane boosters. It was found that dust near the toll booths on parkways, bridges and tunnels were contaminated with organo-lead compounds, otoh, "Battle of Britain" would have been lost without TEL.

Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulatorHide this!Advertise here!