Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Set up a turntable and build a phono stage. It will be a nice alternative to compare tone and instruments presence. Plus playing vinyl is a therapeutic ritual.

When I get the time ;) Digital recording are indeed imperfect...

I’m considering replacing the small UI transformer in my build mostly because it’s out of spec. I’m running 120V AC but it’s rated 110 so it gets quite hot... Do you know if I would be better off getting the original 6VA(0.6w idle core loss) or a larger 15VA (1w core loss)? The height increase by 50% and I can’t make up my mind on whether it would reduce magnetic flux leakage. I’ll also get customized shielding for the windings built in the new transformer but it sadly won’t help much with leakage. Just theoretically is it better to get the larger transformer when both have enough capacity? Thanks so much for all the advice!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
When I get the time ;) Digital recording are indeed imperfect...

The guy who lent me his Benchmark DAC3 for a subjective comparison with the RME ADI-2 DAC (DAC3 wins hands down) was here the other day to pick it up and we also played a couple of records on my humble DIY modded old British all wooden TT with a 300 Euro AT MC cart through the Folded Simplistic phono.

That's annoying he said, two classes higher in realism than my DAC, why still that happens? I shrugged, not having a clue as to why.

The guy who lent me his Benchmark DAC3 for a subjective comparison with the RME ADI-2 DAC (DAC3 wins hands down) was here the other day to pick it up and we also played a couple of records on my humble DIY modded old British all wooden TT with a 300 Euro AT MC cart through the Folded Simplistic phono.

That's annoying he said, two classes higher in realism than my DAC, why still that happens? I shrugged, not having a clue as to why.

:D I see. But let’s not compare DIY skills...