Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes

The two sections are completely independent so you may consider tying the positive section's C1 (-) with the negative section's C1 (+) using a thick wire. So to close the incoming DC power loop at a very low impedance point by attaching the incoming zeros there than relying to close it much further and widely where the output zeros meet at the load via cables.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Anything PMOS will electrically work, but look for quicker performance also. In other words for lowest Ciss (gate to source pF) along with safe max spec above the Ampere level you target. We need high thermal safety because it will work with continuous current in our application. No time out to cool. For instance an IRF9630 has 700pF and can do 4A with a core temperature of 100C while the FQP12P20 has 920-1200pF but can do 7.27A at the same thermal circumstances. So the first one will still cover your 2A request safely and it will be faster enough.

Hi Salas,

Would it be possible to feed the boards DC from a laptop charger, bypassing the rectifiers and still get a regulated +/- output? For instance, input 5A @ 24V to get 0.18A @ +10V, 0.06A @ -10V for a non-modded Soekris DAM1021 and (a step-down before the third input) 1.5A @ 5V for the Rpi.

Thank you

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas, Can I use it to high-voltage? I need to +/-80VDC (0.3A per rail). If possible, how to replace or chage the parts?

It can be possibly done with resistors in place of some JFETS, also higher voltage & dissipation transistors in the cascode, and it could be simulated. But nobody knows how it will behave in reality before breadboarding it, and certainly the PCB isn't adequate to receive power resistors in place of JFETS and different BJT packages. The M2's dissipation at 80V will be much higher even if you can allow conservative 100mA spare current (8W).

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas,

Would it be possible to feed the boards DC from a laptop charger, bypassing the rectifiers and still get a regulated +/- output? For instance, input 5A @ 24V to get 0.18A @ +10V, 0.06A @ -10V for a non-modded Soekris DAM1021 and (a step-down before the third input) 1.5A @ 5V for the Rpi.

Thank you

No, because you need bipolar DC input i.e. +/0/- not just +/0

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can have it, but you would need something more powerful than that example as it only gives out 1W total. Something like 5W* of same efficiency (circa 90%). I don't know if there exists some linear chip solution too (like a TLE2426 on steroids) or the industry has gone completely switching for such.

*100-150mA spare is recommended when setting the Ubib. So for 180mA load you would set 280mA-330mA CC or 4.2W-4.95W power draw at 15V input. For 60mA load on the negative rail a 160mA-210mA CC setting i.e. 2.4W-3.15W power draw at -15V input.

You can have it, but you would need something more powerful than that example as it only gives out 1W total. Something like 5W* of same efficiency (circa 90%). I don't know if there exists some linear chip solution too (like a TLE2426 on steroids) or the industry has gone completely switching for such..

Awesome, I will wait for the GB and then start digging deeper into it. I'd like to have best of both worlds, ie, not having to deal with mains and still having a pretty good regulator for the DAC and micro-controllers. Thank you!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Something like the CUI PDQE10-Q48-D15-T could satisfy your power needs (?)
You should watch the maximum load capacitance such converters can see.
Look in their datasheets. C1 on the Ubib should be something much smaller in other words.