Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2020, 04:50 PM   #2301
aljordan is offline aljordan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Nice it works. See if it sounds any better than with smps. If not, it means the filters train prevails.
There is a difference. The sound is somewhat more clear, snappy and dynamic using the UBiB. The bass sounds more firm as well. The switching supply, in comparison, reminds me of listening to my old B&K ST-140 mosfet amp compared to a more modern amp, being a little fuzzy sounding but still quite pleasant. I prefer the UBiB. I was comparing it to the larger Meanwell 24 volt supply that is recommended for the ACA amp.

Alan
Old 7th September 2020, 09:11 PM   #2302
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

What are the voltages at +F +R points of B1 Nutube? Maybe a partial RC filters bypass to F+ could make the UBiB's rail connection more direct for further comparison?
Old 8th September 2020, 07:57 PM   #2303
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
The tubes are HOT !!!
diyAudio Member

Default Neg Reg - PASS BA-3

Hi,

I have been using the Ultra BiB to power the PASS BA-3 preamp lately.

Yesterday, when I turned the preamp on the leds on the negative regulator

did not light or maybe very dim. Voltage should be -24, but was 3.5-v or

there about.

I disconnected the reg from BA-3 and the leds lit up to normal and voltage

was -24v. Connected back to preamp and voltage stayed at -24v.

Listening to the pre in system now, seems ok.

I have two other Ultras that I need to debug/fix someday.
Old 8th September 2020, 08:38 PM   #2304
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Could there have been some loose screw at the connector or a bad solder joint somewhere? If it will happen again let me know. To try a diode In case it's a reverse voltage incident.
Old 11th September 2020, 07:07 PM   #2305
hotzman is offline hotzman  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hi guys! Hi Salas!
I want some tips to get 12V / 2.5 A. I want to power Minidsp 4 x 10 HD with Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt controller. For starters I put R1 0.15R / 10W and R9 1K8. the transformer is 2 x 15V / 30VA per secondary, placed in parallel.
It is stable at 12V but heatsink (125 x 40 x 40mm) heats up to 80 degrees Celsius, no load.
Recommend other changes to the values of the components, resistors or mosfet M1 or M2? Higher heatsink?
Thank you!
hotzman
Old 11th September 2020, 09:55 PM   #2306
The tubes are HOT !!!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Could there have been some loose screw at the connector or a bad solder joint somewhere? If it will happen again let me know. To try a diode In case it's a reverse voltage incident.

Do you mean, connect a diode from the reg-output to the preamp input?
Old 12th September 2020, 12:14 AM   #2307
diyAudio Chief Moderator

No, see posts 2285 2289. I made a couple of helpful graphics also to explain those posts better. Pay attention to the extra diode's polarity. This thing solved aljordan's breaking a BC560 problem for powering B1 Nutube. Your intermittence was in BA-3 once and non catastrophic. But something to try if it ever repeats for no other apparent reason like a compromised joint or a compromised cable connection.
Attached Images
File Type: png Reverse diode pos.png (94.2 KB, 274 views)
File Type: png Reverse diode neg.png (87.1 KB, 277 views)
Old 12th September 2020, 12:18 AM   #2308
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzman View Post
Hi guys! Hi Salas!
I want some tips to get 12V / 2.5 A. I want to power Minidsp 4 x 10 HD with Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt controller. For starters I put R1 0.15R / 10W and R9 1K8. the transformer is 2 x 15V / 30VA per secondary, placed in parallel.
It is stable at 12V but heatsink (125 x 40 x 40mm) heats up to 80 degrees Celsius, no load.
Recommend other changes to the values of the components, resistors or mosfet M1 or M2? Higher heatsink?
Thank you!
hotzman
In my opinion use L-Adapter discrete series PSU for efficiency and satisfying quality. Because processors after boot idle lower than peak spec. If they need a burst it's for a little then backing down again. Meanwhile the bulk of CCS setting burns away in a shunt.
If you only have shunt as an option you could need bigger heatsink for M1 M2. How much bigger you will decide by temperature with load on. Because the load shares consumption with M2.
But R1 0.15R maybe its too low a value anyway. Confirm CCS current by measuring voltage drop R1 between its pins and divide by 0.15. Theoretically a 0.2-0.22R should work towards less heat and still cover for 2.5A load peak. But there are tolerances and differentiation with heat, so do measure.
If you match and manage UBiB well to the Minidsp as load for your pleasure, you could get very good results though. Linear shunt is an exotic PSU partner for such devices. Not even a series mode linear chip PSU is provided with digital audio gear anymore. By 99% chance its a general purpose SMPS brick all we get.
Old 12th September 2020, 03:18 AM   #2309
The tubes are HOT !!!
diyAudio Member

Excellent! Thank you! I will try this.

Quote:
No, see posts 2285 2289. I made a couple of helpful graphics also to explain those posts better. Pay attention to the extra diode's polarity. This thing solved aljordan's breaking a BC560 problem for powering B1 Nutube. Your intermittence was in BA-3 once and non catastrophic. But something to try if it ever repeats for no other apparent reason like a compromised joint or a compromised cable connection.
Old 13th September 2020, 10:53 AM   #2310
Clack is offline Clack  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hello, I built a positive and a negative SSLV voltage regulator. I have the correct tension I need, 12 V, but M2 gets quite hot, even using a radiator.
The temperature raises first in the M2 component of the negative regulator, but after a while also the M2 in the positive regulator does the same.
Any suggestion?
Thank you.

Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulatorHide this!Advertise here!