Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Thank you Salas.
I have tried with 5v battery,100ohm resistor to test Idss.
Tester show 0.86v between 100ohm so it means 10ma x0.86 Idss=8.6ma?
I am reading from diyaudio store information.
https://diyaudiostore.com/pages/jfet-matching-information
Sorry for noob question and some English understanding problem.

Attachments

• PXL_20230421_164603530.jpg
    PXL_20230421_164603530.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 69
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Means I=V/R i.e. 0.86V/100Ω=0.0086A=8.6mA that's correct. And in normal range for PF5102. If your power source was higher like a 9V battery it might have shown a bit more but it does not matter for matching as long as you measure all units with the same power source.

Reactions: 1 users
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Unpredictable in a way it will lose enough OLG from its normal spec and will also be easier to make oscillate. Because J3 will operate in a tiny DC voltage bracket. Making R8 5.6k could give some OLG back. C3 should be Low ESR. If easy to test you may give it a try. If no good result IRL530 also works in higher voltage range all the same, so not wasted.

Option two sounds like a proven wise scheme i.e. 5V shunt pre-reg + final low noise LDO closely located on R2R pcb. What is opa365 3.8V plan? Maybe LT3045?

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Good, thank you for advise, so will buy extra pats: get IRL530 (instead of IRF530), and both R8 270 and 5.6K. But how to test stability: by oscillograph (I have 150MHz), or by extra heat, or by sound, or something else?
Stability you can test by oscilloscope. Use AC coupling at say 10-20mV vertical. Then switch the horizontal knob between 100uS to 1uS. Should show a straight line when doing well. Even if bit noisy depending on probe's ground length, common mode interference etc. If some sinewave or sawtooth reminiscent AC waveform is discovered that's sure oscillation. Usually HF. Hundreds of kHz or few MHZ. Such a bug can also have many mV or even few V height. If it passes that test OK then by sound you judge subjectively. Better perform any test on dummy load first to safely confirm it generally functions good giving proper DC value etc. then repeat them when connected to the real application.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve finally got mine wired up and connected to my BA-3 preamp. Fired it up via variac but the led’s remain out and D3/4 on the negative board and D1/2 on the positive get scorching hot (with maybe a little smoke, not sure). 5R resistor for R1 based on the load from the BA-3. No apparent shorts or anything. Any thoughts?