Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
13.5V at the output/100R dummy = 135mA. It should have had the power to reach more output voltage with 300mA CC confirmed available. All your DC state readings are logical. Do you have an oscilloscope to check the negative rail for some possible oscillation?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
VR1 was just ok, no change with the new one. Drop on R4 is 0.670V, on R7 is 0.631V and on R8 is 0.697V.
By turning VR1 the voltage across it raises lineary till app. 8.9V then it just stops even though I turn VR1 till the end.

Is there a possibility the VRR resistor has wrong value? Pull one of its legs in the air and try again.

Dear Salas, I found the mistake. I made my own board and falsely oriented Q2 and Q3. Collector and emitter were switched. I'm very sorry I've bothered you but I just can't believe I did such a stupid mistake.
It is interesting to me how transistors were 'working' that way - I would have never thought it's possible. Now I can finish my DCG3. :)
Just one more question: will single pair of SSLV1.3 be enough to supply both channels of DCG3 or would you suggest to build one for each channel?

Thank you very much for your help and paciance!

P.S.: A picture of DCG3 and SSLV1.3 (with additional input filtering)

Attachments

• IMG_3564.jpg
    IMG_3564.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 334
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Takes not only more space but yet another dual independent secondaries transformer and higher total shunt PSUs dissipation nonetheless.
Although you would notch down the CC current burden per reg in dual mono, the minimum spare current dissipation remains the same and multiplies heat by the more reg units.

Hi,

I have build 2 ultrabib positive regulators and cannot get them to run.
I attched a toroid transformer with 30vac output and used a saligny mosfet rectifier. R1 is below the pcb.
On both regulators I get 3,45v output and cannot set the voltage.

Did I make an obvious mistake?

Hope you can help.

Kind regards,

Attachments

• F48AFFD1-42A6-4D35-B182-7B517A41BD78.jpeg
    F48AFFD1-42A6-4D35-B182-7B517A41BD78.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 292