Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

The plan is to use the UBiB to power an OP-Amp (AD825). Maximum current draw according to the sheet @ 15V is 7.2mA. 15*0.0072A = 0.1W. In regards to this I am struggling a bit to select resistors. I would like to use SMT which is usually caped at 250mW.

Is a 250mW resistor too small fo a headroom ?

On another note, Looking at the positive version, Q1 calls for BC327 which is PNP but sch. symbol show an NPN and he negative version use BC337 for Q1 which is an NPN but the sch. symbol show an PNP.

So, what is correct, the component or the sch. symbol ?

- EDIT -
Never mind, its the orientation of the component and no clear indication of emitter, base an collector... I will design the schematic locally and check with the forum for confirmation :)

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The plan is to use the UBiB to power an OP-Amp (AD825). Maximum current draw according to the sheet @ 15V is 7.2mA. 15*0.0072A = 0.1W. In regards to this I am struggling a bit to select resistors. I would like to use SMT which is usually caped at 250mW.

Is a 250mW resistor too small fo a headroom ?

Select R1 5.6 Ohm for circa 100mA+ CCS. Dissipation of R1 will be about 60mW.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
On another note, Looking at the positive version, Q1 calls for BC327 which is PNP but sch. symbol show an NPN and he negative version use BC337 for Q1 which is an NPN but the sch. symbol show an PNP.

So, what is correct, the component or the sch. symbol ?

- EDIT -
Never mind, its the orientation of the component and no clear indication of emitter, base an collector... I will design the schematic locally and check with the forum for confirmation :)

The published schematics are 100% correct. Follow them without hesitation. There are clear and adequate emitter arrows also there. If you will analyze beyond PSUs output polarities you will understand why those semiconductors polarities work that way inside the PSUs.