LM3886 power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi it's my first time building a am. I'm a bit stuck on the power supply I was looking at using a 2x 18v 160va toridal but after some reading realised I need a split rail power supply as I'm using 2 lm3886 to build a stereo amp do o have to buy 2 centre taped transformers or can I use 1 to feed 2 split rail power boards.? Thanks.

One power board with a bridge rectifier and decoupling of a positive rail and a negative rail is sufficient. LM3886 deserves a minimum of 10000uF for each rail. Look for a power board with two large electrolytic capacitors (of same size) and then check it is for a transformer with a center-tap and has got both a "+" and "-" output.

You could power each amp from a separate power supply (dual mono) or you can power both amps from a single power supply. As shown in this picture of my amp.

Attachments

• Web 1.jpg
    Web 1.jpg
    772 KB · Views: 699
Hi would I use a centre tap transformer with setup? Is there a diagram of such a setup? Just out of interest where do you guys get the cases for your amps I'm struggling to find one a good size.

Here's some good reading about PSUs, if you have time there's lots of other interesting articles too.

Linear Power Supply Design
Power Supply Wiring Guidelines

A wide variety of cases, looks good and reasonably priced

Modushop by Hi-Fi 2000 | Contenitori per Elettronica | Electronic Enclosures | Hi Fi Chassis

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Do you mean the transformer is a 30-0-30 VAC type or do you mean the DC rails produced by this transformer are around -/+30 volts. There is a big difference.

If the former then you are looking at DC rails of -/+42 volts, if the transformer voltage is higher than 30 volts at light loading then the DC voltage will be higher still. That is right on the upper limits of the LM3886's spec and would not be something I would recommend.

The -/+30 volts DC option would be perfect.

Hi it is ac with 30v ac on one side to the negative and 30v ac on the other side to the negative.

I have done the same as you and cannibalized old amplifiers for use in new constructions. Mooly is (of course) right, you end up with around 2x42Vdc.

An LM3886 can handle max. +/-42V so you are close. It would be a pity to waste a good transformer so what can be done?
* Either, use the transformer for a regulated power supply eventually based on a buffered LM317/337 design.
* Or, double or even triple the rectifier diodes, before the buffer capacitors in order to get a moderate reduction of the rectified voltage.

If you can do a small test: Connect the transformer to a rectifier bridge and to two buffer capacitors. Draw 100mA from each buffer capacitor and measure the two buffer capacitor voltages. Then, we can better tell you what to do.
Eventually, use the rectifier and the buffer capacitors from the Pioneer for this test.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.