Kanged switching power supply for a tube amp.

Keep in mind, this DC supply seems to like to oscillate, so while I agree with CRC filter, consider the puny 10uF (is it that much?) cap on the board as the first C in the filter. YMMV but it seems to tame to oscillations.

This is the main reason I scrapped the idea of using adjustable supplies like these in favour of simpler fixed voltage designs :)

Those 80uF caps are great BTW. Use them at the circuit end of the power supply.

This inverter runs on 12V. 24V will double it's output and make it run hot...

I use this one since it has the heatsink included. 500W 12VDC transfer 18VAC & 0-220v-380v inverter module | eBay
I run HER208 or UF5408 into 470-3300uF. No second stage for PP output stage, 2k/47u for front end.

There is also this one at 1000W: DC-AC High Frequency Inverter 1000W DC12/24V To AC220V 330V 380V 420V DC To AC | eBay

It says "Can be used as a pure sine wave, repair sine wave, single silicon machine, four silicon fore-step boost inverter cir" but I really doubt it's not square wave output.

Last edited:
Thank you, but it's an obscure Dell supply removed from junk PC, and I bought a 12V Meanwell.

BTW, I was reading about common noise and EMC filter for SMPS today. Do you think I should consider to add EMC filter before and after inverter? The switching frequency seems to be much lower than regular SMPS, so the story would be different, though. Meanwell 12V have EMC filters before and after conversion.