Centre tap split rail supply from twin secondaries

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I am going mad! I have made many CT supplies using a twin sec transformer but I cannot seem to get this one to work.

I have a dual 55vac tranny and have joined the centre pair. when connected to the bridge I am only getting 112v between + & - and + & CT 56vdc and - & CT 56vdc. I was expecting around 75vdc per rail. What have I done wrong?

I think I might have answered my own question? Should I be using 2 bridge rectifiers as in this circuit I used for Gainclones?

Attachments

• Carlos FM PS.png
    Carlos FM PS.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 140
If you have two identical secondaries you can use them to make a bipolar DC supply in two ways:
1. Join them to make a CT secondary and use one bridge.
2. Leave them separate, use two bridges and join the DC outputs.
Any attempt to mix these two methods is likely to result in problems.

I did 1. as above, but connecting the outer secondaries to the bridge (the inner pair joined to make the CT) did not result in the 1.4 dc multiplier that I would have expected. I therefore assumed that I had done something wrong. The last time I built a Gainclone PS was about 10 years ago and I think I have gone silly;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.