Most Rugged Switching Power Supply Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What would be the best, most rugged capacitors to use for a switching power supply? I have the following values of capacitor to replace on the Pioneer SP-SB23. This is a high failure rate unit, despite selling for $400. The capacitors on the SMPS are:

470uF/50V- Sam Young 105F esr measured at .04
100uf/400V- TR JUNZL 105F esr measured at .58
10uF/63V- MHC 85F esr measured at 1.6
47uF/50V- IIPVAN esr measured at .74 and .66

The esr measures fine on all of these, but I get a pop on startup of the soundbar and the bulk cap on the amp right off the power supply board swelled (despite being a panasonic eb series). The caps on the SMPS seem to be junk grade. The nichicon UPJ seem like reasonable replacements, but the ripple does not seem much higher than the existing caps. Is tabulated ripple and esr enough of a criteria or are the name brand caps superior in some other way? Anyway, I wish to recap the board for piece of mind, a suggestion for the best possible caps would be appreciated.

Photo of SMPS.

Attachments

• smps-s.JPG
    smps-s.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 328
is there a voltage doubler in there?
400V capacitor is often used in 230Vac SMPS and these use some form of doubler when oprating from 115Vac supply.

If yours does not have a doubler then 400V is way over specified and you don't need to change that.

But if there is a doubler, then the 400V is close to being overloaded. In this case it might be more reliable to use 450V or 500V for that storage capacitor.
It also has a high ripple current imposed on it so you need high ripple capability.

I'm seeing 166V across the 400V cap. This TR JUNZL cap has a RC of 400 at 120Hz with a 2000H life, the Panasonic EE series has RC of 825 and 8-10K life, so I guess I will definitely replace this one, probably the rest also, though they all test well. The 470uF/50V cap is the last filter prior to going to the amp, tests fine with a .04 esr, but I'm not sure I trust a cap named "Sam Young."

Why would a respectable company like Nichicon choose a product name that sounds like a cheesy, half-baked plagiarism? Isn't the marketing department supposed to safeguard against such gaffes?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's a fact that when I first saw them I laughed my *** off and immediately drew disparaging conclusions regarding the integrity of the product I was disassembling for parts. Any true marketing egghead would immediately realize this.

On the same token, I'm going to market a bootleg car. I'll call it the Fard Forkus. See how that works?

Samwha=Nichicon, Korean made
Samyoung=Nippon Chemi-Con, Korean made

A comparison between the Sam Young and UCC LXV datasheets seem to confirm that they might very well be the same devices. The printing on the SY caps also looks a bit better than typical Chinese generics.

Anyway, I replaced all caps on the SMPS and amplifier on the unit (a Pioneer Sound Bar noted for failures) with mostly ZLHs, and Panasonic EE for the 400V cap. All replacements have substantially better esr and ripple. Many of the caps were Shanghai PVAN.

Attachments

• IIPVAN.jpg
    IIPVAN.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.