How to disable fan noisy Meanwell MP650

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Minebea has 4 models in the series, two have locked rotor signsls of the type I discussed, and 2 have a tacho output;- 2410ML-04W-B79-B00 Specs and Media - DC Axial Fans - NMB Technologies Corporation

A NE555 timer chip could be used to give a signal to fool it into thinking the fan was present.

Cheap Chinese 555 timer PCBs are available, and could be used with suitable modification.

This one for instance? NE555 PULSFREQUENTIE Duty Cycle Verstelbare Module Blokgolf Signaalgenerator in NE555 PULSFREQUENTIE Duty Cycle Verstelbare Module Blokgolf Signaalgenerator van Geintegreerde Schakelingen op AliExpress.com | Alibaba Groep

But how to fit the right signal?

I also found this thread. Generate Fan RPM Signal W/O Fan | [H]ard|Forum
They do exactly what I need don't you think?

Make sure blades are broken of to exact same length or you might get serious vibration and noise.
You could cut them flush with the center bush with side cutters.

I'm afraid this is very difficult and the result will never be noiseless.

I had a similar problem .....
I found this piece of electronics that might be helpfull

PWM Pulse Frequency Duty Cycle Adjustable Module Square Wave Signal Generator | eBay

Adjustable frequency and square output. Power from the fan power supply, but should I use a resistance to match the output?

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Loud how? Air or bearing?

Peel the label off the fan, there's a bearing. If the factory oil has gone hard, the bearing will squeal horribly. Sewing-machine 3-in-1 oil works.

Air: put 20 Ohms 10W in series with the 12V lead. Air-flow is down to about 1/4 and noise even more. Most fans will work at half-voltage. Many deaf-fan monitors won't care unless the fan just stops for more than a second.

I'm afraid this is very difficult and the result will never be noiseless.

I found this piece of electronics that might be helpfull

PWM Pulse Frequency Duty Cycle Adjustable Module Square Wave Signal Generator | eBay

Adjustable frequency and square output. Power from the fan power supply, but should I use a resistance to match the output?

Well, the pulsgenerator did it! At 1000 hz it mimics the fan and the power supply delivers 70V. Small investment of less than 3 euro's and it works. I won't miss the fan as I have tested the power supply loaded while the fan was boxed. Moreover it has temperature sensors that avoid overheating.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Attachments

• 20180201_134410.jpg
    20180201_134410.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 91
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.