Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What we need for testing HV tube supplies
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2018, 09:38 PM   #21
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

I've run it up to ~150mA -- we're just looking for it to modulate the input for PSRR and output for impedance and stability. (I've thought of this as a piezo amplifier). The SOA of the FQP9N90C should DC operation (with sufficient sinking)

of course, it has its own poles and zeroes.

i was also looking at some RF amplifiers
Old 7th March 2018, 09:37 PM   #22
DualTriode is offline DualTriode  United States
diyAudio Member

jackinnj,

The toy budget had a windfall.
There is a new Bode 100 on the bench. There is also an injection transformer. The steep part of the learning curve will be directed toward the low voltage versions of LM317’s. These little PCB’s are cheap on e-bay. http://www.audiowind.com/pdf/PCB-A230.pdf
I will start probing with 10:1 oscilloscope probes.

I found: On line, also a hard copy from amazon.

Fundamentals of Power Electronics
SECOND EDITION
University of Colorado Boulder,
Colorado Robert W. Erickson
Dragan Maksimovic

https://eleccompengineering.files.wo...ckson_full.pdf

Once I stumbled on to the correct search terms; “gain” and “phase margin” There is some really good stuff about regulator stability and the like. The search term “approximation” had a lot of hits. I did not find the “Erickson-Maksimovic approximation” (Phase Angle := 50.36 * Q^-0.907+-5%). There is a lot of stuff that does relate high Q to “ringing” and or instability.

The more I look into this PDN stuff the more it looks like networks and not just stand alone voltage regulators. It seems that the regulator needs to be studied / tested with both line and load disturbances. I am thinking that a reference or standard amplifier or load is needed to study / test different regulator variations. I am picturing a low PSRR depletion FET type of standard amplifier / load.

Once the low voltage versions are sorted I am thinking of a higher voltage version of depletion MOSFET amplifier / load and probing with 100:1 oscilloscope probes.

DT
Old 7th March 2018, 10:17 PM   #23
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualTriode View Post
jackinnj,

The toy budget had a windfall.
There is a new Bode 100 on the bench. There is also an injection transformer. The steep part of the learning curve will be directed toward the low voltage versions of LM317’s. These little PCB’s are cheap on e-bay. http://www.audiowind.com/pdf/PCB-A230.pdf
I will start probing with 10:1 oscilloscope probes.

I found: On line, also a hard copy from amazon.l

Fundamentals of Power Electronics
SECOND EDITION
University of Colorado Boulder,
Colorado Robert W. Erickson
Dragan Maksimovic

https://eleccompengineering.files.wo...ckson_full.pdf

Once I stumbled on to the correct search terms; “gain” and “phase margin” There is some really good stuff about regulator stability and the like. The search term “approximation” had a lot of hits. I did not find the “Erickson-Maksimovic approximation” (Phase Angle := 50.36 * Q^-0.907+-5%). There is a lot of stuff that does relate high Q to “ringing” and or instability.

The more I look into this PDN stuff the more it looks like networks and not just stand alone voltage regulators. It seems that the regulator needs to be studied / tested with both line and load disturbances. I am thinking that a reference or standard amplifier or load is needed to study / test different regulator variations. I am picturing a low PSRR depletion FET type of standard amplifier / load.

Once the low voltage versions are sorted I am thinking of a higher voltage version of depletion MOSFET amplifier / load and probing with 100:1 oscilloscope probes.

DT
Just remember that the LM317 is “referenced” to the output rail!

What we need for testing HV tube suppliesHide this!Advertise here!