PSU ground layout question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a single-PCB headphone amplifier that I'm laying out (a clone of the Torpedo III).

The PSU schematic is attached. The principal B+ current goes in and out on the green arrows, so those traces are thick, and parallel each other as much as possible.

The principal heater current goes in and out on the red arrows. Those traces are also thick, and parallel each other nicely.

My question regards the voltage reference circled in blue. Thick or thin trace?

Thanks,
Jeff.

PS: I've also attached that section of my current board layout. The blue-circled trace is currently thick, and goes from the star to C4, passing under D1.

Attachments

• PSU question.jpg
    PSU question.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 161
  • PSU question board.jpeg
    PSU question board.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 161
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I, personally, would make two modifications.

1. Create a new custom footprint for diode D1 with an additional 0.15 inches of lead spacing.

2. Connect C6 and C4 with an 0.175" wide trace on the red layer. But hey that's just me.

~

Attachments

• ssssfsdfasdfasdfasddf.jpeg
    ssssfsdfasdfasdfasddf.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 146
Hi Mark,

So you're voting for super-thick. ;) Most of the footprints are custom anyway, so using a longer-spaced diode is easy.

Hi Jan,

No, it's all hand-routed. (Does the fact that it looks auto-routed mean I failed to make some optimisations that I should have?)

Cheers,
Jeff.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Mark,

So you're voting for super-thick. ;) Most of the footprints are custom anyway, so using a longer-spaced diode is easy.

Hi Jan,

No, it's all hand-routed. (Does the fact that it looks auto-routed mean I failed to make some optimisations that I should have?)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Well I see a lot of tracks that are needlessly long, which normally is a sign of autorouting. The shortest path between two points is a straight line, or an almost-straight line ;-). That's important for any PCB, especially with relatively high currents.

Jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.