Toroid question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I'm wondering whether to get a single toroid with two sets of windings or two different ones each with one set of 30V windings. This is going to be used for a pair of bipolar GoldenReference Low Voltage PSUs feeding a set of Super Symmetry Dynahi boards. It's all going into a single chassis and I'm torn between the two options. What do you guys think?

To clarify, I was thinking of:

Either 1 larger transformer with two sets of 2x30VAC secondary windings.

Or 2 smaller transformers with one set of 2x30VAC secondary windings each.

They both will cost me about the same but I can go a higher-end transformer AND have my amp take less space if I go the first option, and I'm pretty sure the 2nd one is the only way to go true balanced.

Last edited:
The 1st option will give you a quasi monoblock design with both channels sharing the PT's primary and core, while option #2 leads to a true monoblock design within the same chassis.

Personally, I'd prefer #1, as one PT ist cheaper, smaller and lighter than two PT's of half the power each.

Best regards!

To clarify, I was thinking of:

Either 1 larger transformer with two sets of 2x30VAC secondary windings.

They both will cost me about the same but I can go a higher-end transformer AND have my amp take less space if I go the first option, and I'm pretty sure the 2nd one is the only way to go true balanced.
Toroidy will wind you this custom wind for you at very affordable cost. Far cheaper than a custom wound from Canterbury.
He also does an inter-winding screen and gauss band for an extra charge.

The big advantage to the bigger core+primary shared between two channels is a lower transformer regulation. And Toroidy can even wind you a special low regulation transformer if you ask.

The 1st option will give you a quasi monoblock design with both channels sharing the PT's primary and core, while option #2 leads to a true monoblock design within the same chassis.

Personally, I'd prefer #1, as one PT ist cheaper, smaller and lighter than two PT's of half the power each.

Best regards!
It can't be a mono-block when inside a shared chassis.
Mono block is one amplifier channel inside one enclosure.
A shared enclosure/chassis gives a dual mono when the internal PSUs are ISOLATED.
If the PSUs are shared, or not isolated, then you have a conventional stereo amplifier.

I like the quad secondaries arrangement for the Isolated channels and the lower regulation.
I have rewound some transformers to achieve this and all worked well to save the cost of an extra chassis/enclosure.

Last edited:
Toroidy will wind you this custom wind for you at very affordable cost. Far cheaper than a custom wound from Canterbury.
He also does an inter-winding screen and gauss band for an extra charge.

The big advantage to the bigger core+primary shared between two channels is a lower transformer regulation. And Toroidy can even wind you a special low regulation transformer if you ask.

Yeah, I was thinking of using Toroidy. Their prices seem to be far more reasonable than Canterbury's after sending a couple quote requests in.
It can't be a mono-block when inside a shared chassis.
Mono block is one amplifier channel inside one enclosure.
A shared enclosure/chassis gives a dual mono when the internal PSUs are ISOLATED.
If the PSUs are shared, or not isolated, then you have a conventional stereo amplifier.

I like the quad secondaries arrangement for the Isolated channels and the lower regulation.
I have rewound some transformers to achieve this and all worked well to save the cost of an extra chassis/enclosure.
Got it, I'm leaning more and more towards the single one at the moment due to cost effectiveness and convenience. It generally seems to be the easier solution right now! I assume there isn't much if any sonic benefit from going two smaller ones, right?

Airlink do have 50VA transformers with electrostatic screen and GOSS band for a very reasonable price...
JXl8Edc.png

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.