Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Linear PSU for Raspberry Pi 3, which one? Confused.
Linear PSU for Raspberry Pi 3, which one? Confused.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2017, 08:32 AM   #21
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

From a technical point of view, I don't think it makes sense.

Fortunately we don't live in a "technical point of view" so you might have a change in SQ using linear depending on your system , grounding etc.

No way to know unless you try..
Old 20th October 2017, 09:09 AM   #22
linuxfan is offline linuxfan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Well since the ALLO DigiOne provides coaxial s/pdif output which is galvanically isolated from the rPi, that's even less reason to use a linear supply for the rPi.
But as cdsgames has suggested, go ahead and experiment. The current draw of a rPi is quite low - you won't be wasting much extra power by using a linear supply.
Old 20th October 2017, 02:56 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Those regulators I listed earlier are all DIY. You can buy fully built "audiophile" linear supplies from the likes of Paul Hynes, Channel Islands, etc. but these cost hundreds of dollars.
Or on eBay you can find less exotic 5V linear supplies, such as these LT1083/LT1085 based units -
HIFI 25W DC5V linear Power supply with display for USB DAC / Raspberry Pi PSU | eBay
15VA DC5V 2.0A Linear Power supply with USB port HiFi PSU for XMOS 6631 L154-21 | eBay
Old 20th October 2017, 08:06 PM   #24
drtebi is offline drtebi  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
My intention was a DIY PSU.

I like the GlassWare LD1085 LV-Regulator, I think that would be a good fit.

What would be a proper transformer for this? Would this one work:
40W R-Core Transformer

As far as I understand, I should have about 6.3V on the secondary winding, and 30VAC should be more than enough for a rPi.
Old 20th October 2017, 10:15 PM   #25
ktham is offline ktham  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just to reinforce your choice of the DIY PSU. I use the Glassware LV Regulator kit configured for full wave bridge. The transformer secondary voltage should be between 7V to 8VAC for a 5VDC output from the regulator. This is mentioned in the user guide which comes with the kit. It is a good quality kit with quality parts.

For my RPi builds, I set the output voltage for 5.1 VDC so this means that the R2 resistor supplied in the kit will need to be changed from 374 ohms to 381 ohms or thereabouts to get your final voltage. I use series resistor combinations to get to 381 ohms.

I use separate 5VDC supplies when I use a HAT DAC / Reclocker combination,I make sure that the power transformer has dual output windings to save on buying a second transformer.

Have fun!
Old 21st October 2017, 01:24 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtebi View Post
What would be a proper transformer for this? Would this one work:
40W R-Core Transformer
Yes that transformer looks good. Be aware that transformer ratings are quoted at their maximum load, and with more modest loads (such as your rPi) that transformer is likely to measure 7.5VAC or so - that's close to the upper voltage specification that ktham just mentioned. After the rectifier bridge that will yield somewhere between 9 and 10.5 VDC. Your regulator will be running warm-to-hot.
Old 21st October 2017, 01:39 AM   #27
Victorsierra is offline Victorsierra  Philippines
diyAudio Member

This is just my experience. I have a very revealing system and top tier. Using a good linear supply has improved both raspi and digi one. Ive tested all switching, bad. The powerbank is 2nd best but the linear is best.
Btw raspi+digi one with li esr aupply is the best transport ive ever heard. Better than my Cec transport, better than any Mac audirvana , better than aerender server that i ABed yes, true. And better than the hifiberry pro+.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 79CB98AA-6BE7-422D-A62C-FC3E825193D6.jpg (880.0 KB, 445 views)
Old 21st October 2017, 02:04 AM   #28
ktham is offline ktham  Canada
diyAudio Member

Get the 2.5" heat sink when you order the LV Regulator kit. Future proofing.

A question about your transformer choice. Do you plan to use the 180VAC CT windings for anything else for this build? Or, are you just looking for low voltage such as the two 6.3V windings?
Old 21st October 2017, 02:19 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Ah yes, I didn't look closely. That 180V-0-180V output is possibly of no use to you.
I recommend Triad's series of dual-bobbin transformers - for you the VPS12-2000 - which is 4amp @ 6VAC (or 2amp @ 12VAC). DigiKey has this transformer for about US$14.
Old 21st October 2017, 05:07 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Correction, I meant "split bobbin" not "dual bobbin".
Item # VPS12-2000, Chassis Mount Quick-Connect World Series™ Power Transformers On Triad Magnetics

Linear PSU for Raspberry Pi 3, which one? Confused.Hide this!Advertise here!