Are there such things as "X2 Interference Suppression Capacitors" for 115V supplies?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there such things as "X2 Interference Suppression Capacitors" for 115V supplies?

Hi,

I plan to supply 110-115V to an amplifier supposed to receive 220-230V. I will change the transformer with similar secondaries values.

Now to the points:
1. There is an X2 Interference Suppression Capacitor (250V 50Hz) before the transformer. I searched on the net to find something equivalent for lower voltages but did not find anything. Is such thing existing? What are those living in countries using 110-115V using instead?

2. I realized that there is also a varistor to cut what is over 250V. What would you recommend for units powered by 115V?

Thanks!

A 250Vac rated capacitor/suppressor can be used on either 110/120Vac mains, or on 220/240Vac mains. You don't need to change it.

The Varistor spike absorber comes in a variety of voltage ratings.
The peak voltage of 220/240Vac Mains is 253*sqrt(2) = 358Vpk
A 250Vac Varistor will not pass when the voltage is <=358Vpk.
If you use this higher rated Varistor on a 110/120Vac mains system, then you lose some of the spike attenuation that a 125Vac rated Varistor would give.

Look up the manufacturers' datasheets and see what ratings are available and at what spike voltage they attenuate (pass current).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.