Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anyone tried Chinese LT3042 board?
Anyone tried Chinese LT3042 board?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2017, 02:20 PM   #1
bugbear is offline bugbear  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Norfolk/Suffolk border
Default Anyone tried Chinese LT3042 board?

Given the spec of a LT3042

LT3042 - 20V, 200mA, Ultralow Noise, Ultrahigh PSRR RF Linear Regulator - Linear Technology

this board should be magic - just add a transformer, and get smooth, pure power.

Low-Noise LT3042 Linear Regulator Power Board DC Converter Overvoltage 5-20v | eBay

The components appear to be fairly "obvious"; 4 diodes, a big cap, an LT3042, and a PNP power transistor to handle the power.

I imagine the circuit is very much like the ones shown on page 26 of Linear's spec sheet ("Ultralow Noise Higher Current Regulator with External PNP").

All for 12.59.

Do I dash out and buy one, or is there a catch?

BugBear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1.jpg (97.8 KB, 710 views)

Last edited by bugbear; 23rd August 2017 at 02:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 02:42 PM   #2
starbender is offline starbender
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I have one.
It does not come with a nichicon cap. Some unknown brand.. I replaced unknown cap. Feeding 5v dc to dac analog stage.
It's ok.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 03:35 PM   #3
bugbear is offline bugbear  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Norfolk/Suffolk border
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbender View Post
I have one.
It does not come with a nichicon cap. Some unknown brand.. I replaced unknown cap. Feeding 5v dc to dac analog stage.
It's ok.
I have in mind to use it for the same purpose as you, in a HiFiBerry DAC+

Per:
DAC+ Pro - external power supply – HiFiBerry

But you don't sound at all taken with this board's performance. What's it doing wrong (or not doing right) ?

BugBear
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 07:01 AM   #4
CallMeMike is offline CallMeMike  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
I've bought my board a few months ago. It came with a NOVER cap and it's used for powering up a DAC.
I have no complaints, it just does the job... However I have not done any other measurements but confirming the steady +5V output.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 08:07 AM   #5
bugbear is offline bugbear  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Norfolk/Suffolk border
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMike View Post
I've bought my board a few months ago. It came with a NOVER cap and it's used for powering up a DAC.
I have no complaints, it just does the job... However I have not done any other measurements but confirming the steady +5V output.
Was it an upgrade for an existing PSU, or part of a new build?

(i.e. are you in the lucky position to make a comparison?)

BugBear
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 05:49 AM   #6
CallMeMike is offline CallMeMike  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugbear View Post
Was it an upgrade for an existing PSU, or part of a new build?

(i.e. are you in the lucky position to make a comparison?)

BugBear
The set-up was/is Raspberry Pi and I2S DAC; the set-up was running an iFi iPower when I tried separate power feed for RPi (iPower) and I2S DAC (Chinese PSU)... The result was a marginal better sound definition (possible 'psychoacoustics' effect on my part) tested on integrated amp + speakers and headphone amp + quality headphones.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 07:55 AM   #7
bugbear is offline bugbear  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Norfolk/Suffolk border
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMike View Post
The set-up was/is Raspberry Pi and I2S DAC; the set-up was running an iFi iPower when I tried separate power feed for RPi (iPower) and I2S DAC (Chinese PSU)... The result was a marginal better sound definition (possible 'psychoacoustics' effect on my part) tested on integrated amp + speakers and headphone amp + quality headphones.
That sounds promising enough for me to gamble the 13!!

BugBear
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 12:23 PM   #8
starbender is offline starbender
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bugbear,

LT3042 is nice reg. Board follows ordinary schematic. It's better than my other ps boards for sure.. I don't have any measurement or data. Only lt3042 datasheet and board components..
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 12:29 PM   #9
bugbear is offline bugbear  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Norfolk/Suffolk border
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbender View Post
Bugbear,

LT3042 is nice reg. Board follows ordinary schematic. It's better than my other ps boards for sure.. I don't have any measurement or data. Only lt3042 datasheet and board components..
Yeah - I think the board is this circuit from LT data sheet (attached) with 4 diodes and a cap in front

Thanks for your comments.

BugBear
Attached Images
File Type: png aa.png (40.8 KB, 625 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 09:58 AM   #10
bugbear is offline bugbear  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Norfolk/Suffolk border
I asked the vendor a couple of questions, which they didn't answer.

But their (only) reply was the attached circuit diagram (which is lacking a couple of component values). But, FYI.

BugBear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chinese_board.jpg (234.6 KB, 564 views)
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Anyone tried Chinese LT3042 board?Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chinese Mono LM1875 Board Twil Chip Amps 54 23rd April 2018 08:04 AM
differential-in chinese implementation board ejaouen Chip Amps 1 2nd July 2017 09:50 AM
a chinese amp balancedin board ejaouen Class D 2 31st December 2016 04:12 PM
Why battle with Chinese board manufacturers? Boscoe Solid State 93 25th June 2011 09:23 PM
Chinese LM3886 Board having problems mattthegamer463 Chip Amps 20 13th November 2009 04:46 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki