Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

High Voltage Boost Converter - sacrilege?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2017, 09:50 AM   #1
korpberget is offline korpberget  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default High Voltage Boost Converter - sacrilege?

Click the image to open in full size.
This is a
DC 12V 24V to DC 200-450V 70W High Voltage Boost Converter Step Up Power Supply.

I am using one of these to feed an ECC83 and two EL84's 250 volts.
Output irons are Lundahl.
Toroid custom wound for heaters. Big one.
Power supply for eh... power supply is a big one from a car stereo demo rack. 13.7 volt regulated, good for about 20 amps.
The sound is super duper and it is absolutely dead quiet between songs.
Have ordered one more for dual setup.

Have anyone tried something like this?
Is it ******* at the Alamo? Swearing in church?
Cannot find much online.
Weird. Its awesome!
Old 29th July 2017, 09:54 AM   #2
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Nothing wrong with it at all, do a forum search, you will see some examples.
Old 29th July 2017, 10:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

No. Not much, and no comments on how people who have tried/uses it think it performs compared to traditional transformers etc.
I don't create new treads unless I can't find the answer myself.
Maybe I'm using the wrong search words?
Any links perhaps?
Old 29th July 2017, 10:10 AM   #4
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

You may have better luck in the Instrument forum, there are quite a few guitar amps using SMPS for HV.

Solid State High Voltage Regulated Power Supply For Vacuum Tube Circuits - YouTube
Old 29th July 2017, 10:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Funny - I saw that video after I ordered mine.
Still no answer to my q.
And I am talking about hifi stereo tube amp, not a guitar amp.
Old 29th July 2017, 10:39 AM   #6
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Just a quick title search turned up the following, there are many more if you look harder...

SMPS Tube kit - Interested?
Do SMPS have a home at high end audio?
SMPS for B+ discussion
Old 29th July 2017, 10:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I am sorry.
None of these links are relevant to my question.
I was not clear enough in my first post.
-----Have anyone tried this exact cheap china made box as B+ power supply in a stereo tube amplifier? Whats the verdict?------
Now try a forum search
Old 29th July 2017, 11:26 AM   #8
petertub is offline petertub  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have tried this. But it seems easier to destroy then an alternative :
DC10-32V to DC +-45-390V 780V! dual output adjustable converter capacity charger | eBay
Old 29th July 2017, 01:02 PM   #9
Fuling is offline Fuling  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I got two of these in the mailbox yesterday, havenīt tested them yet:
DC-DC 10-32V to 45-390V High Voltage Boost Converter Step-up Booster Module TB | eBay

My plan is to use them together with a 24V 6A SMPS to provide B+ and heater voltage for an PL36 SE amp.
Old 29th July 2017, 01:40 PM   #10
pcan is offline pcan  Italy
diyAudio Member

I have bought the same SMPS module pictured in the first post but I haven't tried it yet, because it scares me. It screams cheap from all the sides. The seller specification sheet says: 70W DC-DC non-insulated SMPS; input 12V 7A (3A min at startup) / 24V 3A with undervoltage protection at 7.6V; output 200-450V; switching frequency 160 KHz.
There is neither a manufacturer marking or a regulatory mark. It does not have enough termal grease on the power mosfets, and the flyback diode is tacked to the heatsync with a blob of glue. The PWM controller is a mistery 8 pin DIL chip with chinese markings. Input and outputs filtering is minimal with no inductors. There is space for a current sensing resistor, but on my board a jumper is fitted in its place. There is no protection against reverse polarity at the input. The output protection device is a 5x20 fuse on the negative (!) rail. On my board, it's rated 10A. The transformer is probably the only interesting bit of this design, but it looks smaller than a proper 70w part. I would rather size it a 40-50W. This would still be 160mA at 300V, plenty of current for many tube amplifiers. The two mosfets are rated 80A at 70V (HY1707). There is no insulation between the PCB and the bottom metal heatsync; clearance is only 4mm.
I will surely try it, but only after adding better protection, EMI filtering, a better heatsync with proper component mounting, and probably also a metal shield. This would give it a better chance to survive more than a few weeks of real use, and will restore radio reception on the surrounding area.

Edit: I forgot to add that on my board there is a error: the output terminal is marked input. This has been confirmed by the support forum of the seller. Just follow the PCB traces of the 450V capacitor and you will see the real output terminal. Well, at 10$ is a fun experiment at least.

I also have a APPj PA0901A amplifier (2x EL84 + ECC83) that is factory fitted with a SMSP power supply. The output filter configuration is CL CL CL C (a string of 4 capacitors and 3 inductors), and yet a residual squeaking noise from the SMPS is udible from the speakers. The PWM chip on my APPj amplifier is a TOP250YN - it does have a relatively low switching frequency. I would have used a quasi-resonant chip instead, still cheap but less EMI issues.

Last edited by pcan; 29th July 2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Clarification

High Voltage Boost Converter - sacrilege?Hide this!Advertise here!