Switching 12V power supply

Hi everyone, before anything else, I would like to thank you for your patience with me.

I would like to build a basic audio project. The idea is that the finished product should sit firmly on my office desktop, have 2 ~20W coaxial speakers as a primary output. To drive that I'm planning to use 20W class-D Adafruit amp . There will be several audio inputs, two line-ins, arduino-controled FM radio, and a bluetooth receiver. Beside the speaker amplifier, I thought it would be nice for it to also have a CMoy headphone amp.

So far I wasn't able to figure out how to choose the right power supply. It's gonna be 12V @*~4A, with some step-down regulators where needed. From what I read so far, I should not even think of using switching power supply, but I've never held soldering iron in my hand so I don't really feel like building my own linear PSU. So SMPS it is, as it is a first project it does not need to be perfect on the first try anyway.

The thing is how do I choose the power supply? From what I read, the supply needs to be regulated (most of them are, ) and more importantly isolated. This is where I get really confused. What do I really need to look for? Should I look for class II supply, or is class I sufficient, or are these markings irrelevant to me? I was looking at MEAN WELL GS60A12, which is a class I supply, and MEAN WELL GST36B12, a class II adaptor. Then I saw a supply designed for hi-fi appliacations, SMPS-86, which uses MEAN WELL IRM-45-XX modules.

So, my question, what do I choose? Am I on a completely wrong track? Can I use the adaptors above without getting (too much) noise, and which one? Or should I use the class II module, and if so, can it be used as it is? Or is it necessary to build/buy a more sophisticated circuit? Or should I stop worrying because from I described above, it won't really matter anyway? :D

Thanks very much...

Hi. I think you are possibly worrying unnecessarily about using SMPS with your amp. Although I haven't used one myself yet, I have looked into using one for a JLH class A amplifier I am considering building. People have used them successfully with JLH and Pass Labs amplifiers, both of which are more susceptible to power supply noise than class AB or class D amplifiers.

If you get genuine MeanWell's, you'll be choochin' happily. They're well shielded and well constructed. I've only seen ONE fail in my whole life, and the man behind the wheel was the issue. Never noisy either. I can't say for myself as I have never had big class A amps. :L

I checked ripple+noise level on the first and second supplies and both show 100mV which looks like a very low value to me.
I can´t imagine how that could be heard through the speakers,given that any competent amplifer design will have good supply noise rejection.
To boot, you chose a Class D amplifier which by itself has *some* HF hash at its output, yet that is not annoyig or even perceived, so .... don´t overthink it.

FWIW I commercially make 12V battery powered portable amplifiers, for street musicians, and for quick bench tests use a plain PC power supply , which was NOT designed for Audio use ... never a problem :)

FWIW I commercially make 12V battery powered portable amplifiers, for street musicians, and for quick bench tests use a plain PC power supply , which was NOT designed for Audio use
@JMFahey , I was thinking of making a separate PS for my 20V MOFO power amp (monoblocks -> single case), using a PC power supply along with a DC-DC step-up and CRC filter. I see ASUS power supplies for ~fifty usd, and the 12V rating is 450W. Way more than both channels will draw, IIRC.
Have you investigated the noise levels of the PC power?

Kind regards,
Drew