2016-10 200mAh NICD -0.3v?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
4 of them in series I had them all fully charged up ran in a small lantern style flashlight.
Only discharging at 20mA through an LED and resistor in series.

I let it go all night because I was testing to see how long it would last

From about 5.5v down to 2.5v later the LED was still lit up
batteries completely flat
all of them read around 1 to 1.1v
but one read -0.3v!!
I popped it in my charger and it started charging it but it finished charging in a second or two (thats what my charger said)
came off at 1.28v

I took them all and put them in my dumb charger (since it wont falsely finish too early)
let them all charge till they got warm (all 4 of them. pairs of 2 in series)

they work fine now
but I want to know if the -0.3v one is permanently damaged even though it was only discharging at 20mA (and probably less than 20mA because it was only 20-ish mA right off the charger)

I wasn't going to let it run THIS flat but i forgot about it for a few hours after i woke up.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That cell could be faulty in some way. Discharging series connected cells to far always means that the one that runs out first then gets 'reverse charged' from the others. Reverse charging does ultimately degrade and damage a cell.

You should never discharge any NiCad below 1 volt. Nicads can also suffer from dendrite formation internally that causes high self discharge and an inability to accept charge.

A one off event at such low current probably hasn't caused any harm but it would be worthwhile fully charging and discharging the cells a few times.

NIMH usually are considered dead around 0.8-0.9v right?
Are NICD's considered dead around 1v to 1.1v?
It seems to be that way. giving out no current and still bouncing up to 1v to 1.1v?
It's charged and holding a charge no problem.
all holding at 1.4-ish volts a few minutes off the charger
Thats normal right?
my NIMH's usually go up to 1.41 to 1.49v (highest i seen was 1.49 fresh off the charger and sitting for a minute)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.