diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Power Supplies (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/)
-   -   PSUD (Power Supply Unit Designer) (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/303856-psud-power-supply-unit-designer.html)

RickRay 8th October 2019 01:22 AM

Thank you so much for this EXTREMELY useful tool!!!!

kodabmx 8th October 2019 02:33 AM

+1 although I've never had real world circuits that match what PSUD2 said it would do...

musicpre 1st March 2020 06:27 PM

Even while the third version is in the works, thank you very much for releasing the MacOS version of PSUD2 in February 2020. The only serious issue so far that I have encountered with the MacOS version of PSUD2 is how to insert new filter sections.

DSP_Geek 21st April 2020 03:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
PSUD is not only good for hollow-state, it's also nice for sand-state. I've run a bunch of sims and soldering up hardware shows voltages & ripples are pretty well on the money. Sweet!

If anyone runs across this sort of output, here from a lightly loaded choke input filter with a 400 ohm load resistor emulating about 50-60 mA from the supply, Duncan's already on the case.

Attachment 836188

From the Help menu:
Quote:

Q: Why are there sometimes small glitches on the rectifier voltage?
A: These are caused by short cuts taken in the simulation. A dramatic speed improvement is made over alternative simulators such as SPICE, and this is the price that is paid for the extra speed.
And the fix, from Help->Technical Information->Program Limitations:
Quote:

Choke input filters
Choke input filters are now catered for, however the model is fairly simplistic. Should the current collapse to zero in the choke, then high voltage spikes will appear at the cathode of the rectifier. In a real world scenario, these would be partly soaked up by the reverse capacitance of the rectifier. As rectifier capacitance is not modelled, a reverse leak facility helps tame this effect.
For this circuit, setting 10k in Options->Rectifier Leak sorted the funky output nicely. Firebottle choke input filters could be happy with higher values.

SanjeevM 26th December 2020 06:48 AM

Ripple Voltage

How can I see the voltage of the ripple current in the DC output ?
(Newbie to PSUD2)

trobbins 26th December 2020 10:01 AM

Press Simulate button, using something like : for 300ms after 5 secs delay.
And click the parameter for the voltage across your load.

SanjeevM 26th December 2020 10:57 AM

Ripple Voltage

Thanks !

SanjeevM 26th December 2020 11:02 AM

If I am designing for a steady current of 2A at 24VDC across an amplifier load in a CRC filter, the load resistance (R2) I should use should be 12 ohms, for simulation. Will this give correct results ?

trobbins 26th December 2020 12:35 PM

Certainly make R2=12.

DSP_Geek 26th December 2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanjeevM (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/303856-psud-power-supply-unit-designer-post6462700.html#post6462700)
If I am designing for a steady current of 2A at 24VDC across an amplifier load in a CRC filter, the load resistance (R2) I should use should be 12 ohms, for simulation. Will this give correct results ?

It will. Since the current will be steady at 2A, have you considered an inductor before the first capacitor to make the filter LCRC? The right inductor will knock down ripple voltage to about a tenth of a CRC section's, and thus power by about 20 dB (power is proportional to voltage squared), with what's left having almost no content above twice line frequency. You only have to make sure the initial power-on doesn't have excessive voltage overshoot; less than 10% is usually acceptable. Using an inductor will also reduce the supply output voltage since LC sections tend to average the input rather than ride the peaks, so selecting a higher voltage for the transformer secondary will solve that problem.

Happy simulating!