Best 5V SMPS ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Plenty of discussions about the ipower if you run a google search. One here that may be useful Mains Leakage Currents | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Ouch! Reading that ASR thread just reminded me of how certain people in this hobby have "interesting" personalities...

Thank you for the iFi groundhog info, which ifi is selling on Amazon for $49 with various adapter cables.
Amazon.com: iFi Groundhog - Ground Loop Isolator for Audio Systems (Groundhog+): MP3 Players & Accessories

But why do I need the ~16 Ohm resistance to ground? I found a DIY groundhog by John Swenson which is just straight wire connection to ground.
I can certainly rig up something and tie the DC barrel outer surface to wall AC ground like this?

Attachments

• SwensonGround.jpg
    SwensonGround.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Ouch! Reading that ASR thread just reminded me of how certain people in this hobby have "interesting" personalities...

Thank you for the iFi groundhog info, which ifi is selling on Amazon for $49 with various adapter cables.
Amazon.com: iFi Groundhog - Ground Loop Isolator for Audio Systems (Groundhog+): MP3 Players & Accessories

But why do I need the ~16 Ohm resistance to ground? I found a DIY groundhog by John Swenson which is just straight wire connection to ground.
I can certainly rig up something and tie the DC barrel outer surface to wall AC ground like this?

The Swenson modification works fine, I think the iFi solution is just to keep safely within regulations and avoid any liability with user hacks on their units. Nirvana avoids all this in a simple system, allowing for a simple switch to ground one side of the DC supply. Ground loops are not always obvious and can be difficult to fix, Nirvana allows you to select whether you apply the solution or not depending on your situation.
Go to iFi support and you can get the single ground connection for ~$12, you just supply the IEC mains lead to connect to your AC outlet

Last edited:

I use the straight wire connection to GND on various SMPS to good effect. I just crimp a ring terminal to the end that goes on the DC barrel (disregard the needle nose tool in the photo, you do need a real high pressure crimper for that job, a needle nose won't do it).

Attachments

• PA281071.jpg
    PA281071.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 362

Allo finally made it. The SMPS called ""Nirvana"" is up for sale now.

As usual documentation is scarce to pretty-much-non-existent on the Allo side.

59$ for 2*5V with 2.85A each (??) is a very interesting starting point though.

One output cabled. One with USB-power-port which allows for very short
connections. Nice. ...............

My understanding is that Nirvana has a single 5V/2.85A output with two alternative connectors.

My understanding is that Nirvana has a single 5V/2.85A output with two alternative connectors.

Thx. Any official source confirming that?
There's not a single word about that on the device page over at Allo. Or I simply missed it.

However. If that is so, you would/could run two devices in parallel. No switch
that'd select either of the ports.

The device front would also be more then confusing - even misleading.

Both outputs state 2.85A. So. Is it 5.7A in total hooked up to
one regulator? Without switch I'd expect it to be that way.

As I said. Since there's once more still no proper documentation
from Allo, such a product can hardly get a recommendation for the time being.

Last edited:
Hmmh. Now I have to read/subscribe to a lengthy Shanti thread to get this kind of info. :rolleyes:

The max. load question still remains.

If it just 2.85A total, Allo IMO had really made a poor choice of showing that
on the front panel.

Let's keep the fingers crossed that one day we'll find a bit of documentation
on the Allo side. It shouldn't be that difficult to write up some proper lines.

Hmmh. Now I have to read/subscribe to a lengthy Shanti thread to get this kind of info. :rolleyes:

The max. load question still remains.

If it just 2.85A total, Allo IMO had really made a poor choice of showing that
on the front panel.

Let's keep the fingers crossed that one day we'll find a bit of documentation
on the Allo side. It shouldn't be that difficult to write up some proper lines.

The last pages of the Shanti thread should clarify
Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A

It's funny isn't it.

Just two lines on their homepage would clarify the subject.

Instead Allo buries the info somewhere confuses not only the
customers but also the resellers (Audiophonics obviously was talking about two power rails
earlier.

Which just got changed to "single power rail" btw. I just looked it up.

:rolleyes:

Which still doesn't change the fact that the front panel shows 2.85A each and no document exists explaining it.

Allo. Do yourself a favor. Before launching a product get your docs done.
It is kind of industry standard. That'll put a much better light on you guys.

Quality doesn't get defined by noise and THD only!

To be fair we did get what was promised, a low noise SMPS capable of powering the Pi+Hat. It's taken a long time to get there, but this thread testifies that it was a challenging undertaking. The LPS Shanti was far easier a task and was produced in a few months rather than the >2 years to get Nirvana. Also you can buy and ship three Nirvana's for just a few dollars more than the cost and shipping of the LPS, and most modern DAC's have multiple LDO's/conditioning of internal power rails that Nirvana is still overkill on quality.

The way I see it.

Yes. Allo was facing challenges. Talking about >2 years I find a bit off though.

Shanti was first because they IMO put lower prio on the SMPS project.
Linear supplies are still much better to sell. Then they had to avoid launching competing products.
Spreading the launch dates is not such a bad idea from a marketing perspective.
That's how I would have done it.

Beside that Allo was mentioning serious problems with suppliers, if I recall that correctly, which also seriously slowed them down.

And then there is Covid.

Plenty of potential reasons out there.

And. As usually I am / we are fair.

Asking for proper documentation is not what I'd call an unfair demand.
Would have been a nice job for someone idling around in Covid quarantine. ;)

See folks.

Sometimes it's good to put a bit of pressure on the folks out there. :D

Allo now released something they consider a "manual".
It looks the main intention was to quickly make clear that you'll buy a single-rail device.

I wouldn't call that a manual though.

Over at Computer Audiophile, Allo was facing the same confusion/questions btw.

Anyhow.

Let see if we'll find a "manual" with the Revolution DAC. ;)

So lots of listening since I placed Nirvana in my system, and initial impressions have solidified. It is an improvement over the ipower, vocals are clearer, natural, no edge or harshness. The background is clean, and the sound is detailed even in the quiet sections. I had the earth switch set to 'ON' so DC ground connected to PE. I ran through my test playlist with this set to 'off' - no grounding of dc, and the difference was immediately apparent, loss of detail, harsh, not happy with it and so glad when I switched earth connection back again.

No I don't have a Shanti to compare it with, but I'm not sure it would be significantly better with my setup (Digione player , coax out to a Topping D50). Previously I had the ipower (DC grnd to PE) connected to the Digione, and based on listening Nirvana is discernibly better. If someone has both Shanti and Nirvana to compare that would be helpful. I think the magnitude of difference will depend on the components in the system, the overall PE connections etc. But at $59 its worth trying, and I will almost certainly get a few more units.

Nirvana has been out for about a month now, yet there is no place in N. America to buy one, nor even any supplier indicating they have it on order, or in transit to them.

It is absurd to think people in N. America want to spend close to 50% of the product price on shipping from India or Europe.

Allo - you need to form a partnership with a company in the U.S. or Canada that will represent and distribute the brand, stock the items, and handle warranty claims. Without that, it appears Allo doesn't really care much about the N. American market.

So far this is a repeat of Shanti, which was pretty much unobtainium in N. America.

I use the straight wire connection to GND on various SMPS to good effect. I just crimp a ring terminal to the end that goes on the DC barrel (disregard the needle nose tool in the photo, you do need a real high pressure crimper for that job, a needle nose won't do it).

While making the iPower leakage current fix, I ended up not using the iPower but now had a nice system ground station. I had a weird buzz, which went away after I grounded a component to the wall ground!

SystemGround by drjlo2, on Flickr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.