Best 5V SMPS ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nirvana only has to best the iFi ipower, similar noise but markedly lower leakage to be able to cleanly power the Pi. Based on previously reported progress I would assume that would be possible, Pi may be ~2.5A startup but operating current requirement is much lower. The linear psu that Allo is working on would only be needed for the clean side, +5V for Boss and Digione Sig. , and dual +5/+ - 15V for Katana. Good high quality power supplies are always going to be needed no matter what new Dac's/sources come along, and given the support/feedback that Allo has got from the community it can be done.

I've considered developing a power supply using small solar panels in a way, much like an optoisolator. completely isolating input and output. Being that the digital sections of equipment are easily provided with clean-enough power, only the analog sections need apply. Just may do something here..

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Holes on AC side are earthing (to casing earth). I will ask for a better pic on Monday

Yes so then that certainly is too close to mains voltage carrying parts.

That announcement ended up in the wrong thread! :D

All I never wanted - again. A fad and plump LPS. ;)

Did you guys fail on the Nirvana (SMPS) challenge?
(A little "tweaked" iPower kind of device plus a nice buffer for short risetimes)

You know it, I know it....even the best SMPS needs a linear low noise LDO to achive best results. Why the need for SMPS then? With ultra low power power supplies there is more to be gained by using low loss linear circuits that can be gained with SMPS. I have been investigating myself too and there is no substitute for a good r-core transformer and a well thought out LDO circuit. It will survive us which can not be said about SMPS. Their quality is low price.

Last edited:
Yes so then that certainly is too close to mains voltage carrying parts.

You know it, I know it....even the best SMPS needs a linear low noise LDO to achive best results. Why the need for SMPS then? With ultra low power power supplies there is more to be gained by using low loss linear circuits that can be gained with SMPS. I have been investigating myself too and there is no substitute for a good r-core transformer and a well thought out LDO circuit. It will survive us which can not be said about SMPS. Their quality is low price.

I dont recall exactly the gap but I will check. I think its in spec (4mm ?)
R core transformer is used for this project..

That announcement ended up in the wrong thread! :D

All I never wanted - again. A fad and plump LPS. ;)

Did you guys fail on the Nirvana (SMPS) challenge?
(A little "tweaked" iPower kind of device plus a nice buffer for short risetimes)

LPS was developed as a parallel project to Nirvana , we hope to have both..
Still in all the test data I have ever seen (on power rails) , 200nV is something else.I think its better than any battery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.