Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best 5V SMPS ?
Best 5V SMPS ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2018, 12:19 PM   #231
Sergi4 is offline Sergi4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris14 View Post
Looking forward to getting one from the first production run to test out on my system. I'm currently using an iFi ipower with a shunt to ground(on the same duplex outlet) which performs better than a standard smps. I have always been wary about the cheap linear psu's on eBay/aliexpress and there is no reason that a SMPS cannot provide clean power if properly engineered.

Me too, I don't like it, it stinks. Mine spreads an "electronic" smell all over the room that now we are entering the summer is getting worse. It runs quite warm too, much more than a 10 Euros generic one.
I don't know if the smell is general or It's just my sample, but I'm begining to hate this piece of junk.

I'll wait for this new smps or buy/make a linear power supply for the resident USBridge, altough I would prefer a smps as I have the transport allways on.

Is there an aprox. date of launching?

Best Regards.
Old 10th June 2018, 07:52 AM   #232
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have always been wary about the cheap linear psu's on eBay/aliexpress and there is no reason that a SMPS cannot provide clean power if properly engineered.
You can not seriously mean this.
Old 11th June 2018, 08:36 PM   #233
chris14 is online now chris14
diyAudio Member

Audio Myth - "Switching Power Supplies are Noisy" - Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

Cost is also a factor, a good linear psu such as Sbooster is ~ 300 euro!
Old 12th June 2018, 06:14 AM   #234
CallMeMike is offline CallMeMike  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Audio Myth - "Switching Power Supplies are Noisy" - Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.
Cost is also a factor, a good linear psu such as Sbooster is ~ 300 euro!

They would say so (Benchmark), don't they?... everything goes for propping up own power amp! If there a 'myth', where's the technical back-up (diagrams and all)? Quite a feable 'myth' buster...

I wonder why most of the audio companies prefer the designing and use of linear power supplies against the 'well sorted' SMPS... hmm...
Old 12th June 2018, 06:20 AM   #235
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Hmm, seems to me the reason is obvious - economics. They don't have those specialized design skills on-board and they're loath to hire them in coz they don't come cheap.
Old 12th June 2018, 10:32 AM   #236
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

SMPS like Diesel engines is extra design work to do. Both can be very good. The massive advantage SMPS seems to give is over current protection and regulated voltage free of charge. These things are easilly possible with linear designs. For a design that can be sold around the world the linear supply might be about 50% efficient which is a big problem. In the ideal world a PSU should work between 200 to 253V or 100 to 130 V USA. Trust me these figures are correct as the people most often wanting low noise live in bad areas.

I recently built the old PW Texan amplifier circuit using a Meanwell 48V SMPS. It was so good to be able to nail the voltage. As it wasn't a hi fi application I was very happy with the performance. It's problems were no worse than a Hypex UCD 180 I measured due to SMPS noise. I had no interest to hear it. However it might please me more than a class D for a sub woofer. BTW, The Texan is far better than I thought. I used TIP35/36 and reduced the output gain to 3. A class D amp let go during a testing session caused my interest. The Texan should be future proof, it seems the Meanwell prevented the Texan getting killed along with tough outputs. There was no mystery as to why it blew up. Strangely I blew the class D on the SMPS. It must be the over current protection was too slow for the class D. The load is high inductance with very low DCR.
Old 27th June 2018, 02:54 PM   #237
chris14 is online now chris14
diyAudio Member

Any updates on Nirvana?
Old 1st August 2018, 11:51 AM   #238
LC1979 is offline LC1979
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Any updates on Nirvana?
Is this project dead then?
Old 1st August 2018, 11:52 AM   #239
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

Testing is still going on. Nirvana will be made. We have 2 different setups right now
Old 1st August 2018, 01:22 PM   #240
LC1979 is offline LC1979
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsgames View Post
Testing is still going on. Nirvana will be made. We have 2 different setups right now

Best 5V SMPS ?Hide this!Advertise here!