Best 5V SMPS ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you want tor reach "Best" cable and connector, it should be nano tube carbon. it conduct like copper and acid resistant as glass, also strong as steel. gold are soft.

If you say so. That's the reason I said to keep it DIY-friendly. This way we all can use our
own favorite wiring - just in case.

Price/Performance ratio will be one of the key aspects. For now Allo has shown to
come up with good quality products at reasonable prices without using boutique parts.
From my perspective I think that's a good approach.

1. Don't forget that the "numerous" cable parameters matter big time This plus the right choice of plugs might have ten times more impact than your observed oscillations.

2. A good balance of risetime plus current delivery has to be found Overregulation, overdamping/-filtering, high ESR, low buffer capacity might be some of the things to eliminate as much as possible. I fought this by adding low ESR buffer capacity to the iFi.

Are you serious about this? In case you are I'll comment on that content.

I'm considering buying something similar to the Allo Boss DAC hat for the Pi and I need to buy 3 of them. Still unsure as it doesn't offer balanced output and this may be a necessity.

Whichever unit I buy, the 3 Pi's and DAC's will be in the same chassis and I need a 5V supply which is how I came across this thread... need advice.

I think I would like to go down the SMPS route and possibly looking at 10A? Unsure of the voltage yet as I'm not sure what regulation to use (Voltage drop etc). I read earlier in this thread that someone had tried an SMPS and LDO (TPS7A47) but was not happy with the result. I would have thought this would meet my needs if its efficient.

My questions are:

Do I split the rail from the SMPS and feed 3 low noise regulators (due to the current limitations) and then supply the Pi's which in turn supply their DAC hats?

Or is there a better way to do this? I know the Allo DAC has claimed good onboard regulation as have other DAC hats. I also thought that Pre regulating an existing good supply can have negative effects?

Also I've had heat problems before using LDO's as they often require very close Voltage matching (Input - output + Voltage drop) especially when running a raspberry Pi that may draw 500 mA

Any advice appreciated, but please don't advise 3 seperate wall supplies...

Stuart

Last edited:
Great to see that you guys (@Allo) are working on a PS product. I hope this time a single voltage (e.g. 5V) device.

Some things to keep in mind:

1. Don't forget that the "numerous" cable parameters matter big time This plus the right choice of plugs might have ten times more impact than your observed oscillations.

2. A good balance of risetime plus current delivery has to be found Overregulation, overdamping/-filtering, high ESR, low buffer capacity might be some of the things to eliminate as much as possible. I fought this by adding low ESR buffer capacity to the iFi. 3. I'm not sure if a flexible DC cable length wouldn't have been a better approach on the iFi. Fixed length and then rather long DC cables are not what I'd call the ultimate solution.

4. And the other thing which IMO might not be the best of all approaches is to have the supply sitting right in the mains distribution block. I'd rather see it closer to the device.

5. iFi IMO has done a great job by supplying several uselful adapters. Something you want to think of if you intend to be commercially successful.

Just my thoughts (based on my experiences).

Looking forward to an iPower alternative. ;)

Good luck.

I'd also appreciate some green screw-down terminals for Vout

I am thinking mostly in low noise hardware...DACs etc.
Our 3A project is still going forward.

This is another project. I am thinking that all dacs etc need 5V PSU and 1A is plenty . I think its most important to have galvanic isolation on those projects along with low noise,

Our PSU is being sent to PCB house for samples. 3A/5V

Funny thing is that as a side note of this project , we are also sending to PCB house a small 2cm/6cm PCB , that has an active filter for audioband frequency (50db) with common mode choke , differential noise inductor and 470000 uF of capacitance at the output . It will work up to 3A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.